Russian folktales for children (Детские сказки)

Several students asked me to share some folktales for children.
I was busy this summer, but at last I’ve shared 3 Russian tales for children today:

I’ve edited them a bit in order to make them easier.
If they are popular among our learners, I can continue this collection in the future.
Good luck with Russian!

1 Like

I noticed that some students had liked the collection of Russian folktales.
That’s why I added some more fairy tales:
Детские сказки (Children's fairy-tales)-4. ВОЛК И КОЗЛЯТА

Thank you very much! I like to read Turgenev but it’s difficult and takes a lot of time there being so many difficult verbs and other words. Reading these tales in between is a nice break and it still gives me the hundred unknown words I like to go through per new text. Much less than that and I don’t learn enough but much more on the other hand and it takes forever to write the vocabulary list. Your effort is very helpful to me.

The fairy tales are interesting, but they can have some old fashioned words. The most of them can be understood from the context.
But don’t be shy to ask me the meanings of the words which you can’t understand.
Good luck!

The only word I didn’t understand was ряба I think. I have a very good dictionary which contains a lot of explanations, even the explanation that колобок is a small round bread and is the main character of a Russian folk tale. Of course you explained that in paranthesis (that it’s a pastry) but I didn’t notice because I was only looking at each word at the time and not at the context.

The word “ряба” comes from “рябой” - it means ‘speckled’.
This hen was speckled, and it was called by this word “ряба”.

Thanks. It’s strange that my dictionary didn’t contain this word. I must have overlooked it.