What did Putin actually say?

For Russian learners who are curious in listening to what Putin actually said, untranslated, unprocessed, straight from press conferences and meetings, I have created a new course “Putin Says”.

English translations are also provided in the lessons.

6 Likes

Thank you for the link (and the translations).

It’ll take me forever to get through the pieces under my own steam, but it’s great hearing things straight from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

Thanks! I have listened to all of them already! I may not have understood all of it; but it was good to listen to it

Putin also said that without help of Russia the events in the Crimea could be the same like they are now in the East of Ukraine or in Odessa - with a lot of violance andf a lot of killing…
You’ve heard maybe that last night the supporters of Maudan and ‘Right sector’ set in flame the House of the Labour Unions in Odessa where the supporters of the Federalisation of Ukraine wanted to hide from them - as a result more than 40 people were burnt in the flame.
It’s an example of a ‘good democracy’ a la Kiev.
You can read my article about the events in Odessa in Russian here:
Login - LingQ

3 Likes

Just added Putin’s Victoria Day speech from the Red Square today, fresh from the Kremlin website.

I cut out the national anthem part at the end in the lesson’s audio to make it more succinct (the speech is about 4 minutes long). I have included the video in the lesson.

Happy Victoria Day!

2 Likes

Victoria day after Queen Victoria is next week in Canada. Victory Day is what was celebrated in Russia. It is ther equvalent of Remembrance Day I believe .

Evgenuy you don’t know the details of the events in Odessa. As for speculating about violence in Crimea, that is just another example of how Russia is stoking fear , resentment and unrest in Ukraine. Very irresponsible.

No, Steve, you are not right about Odessa.
The reality is even more terrible that I thought firstly.
And not only the Russian Mass Media tell asbout it.
I saw also in DW, BBC, TV Austria (but of course, not on the Ukrainian TVs that are the most deceitful now!) that all this killing was a good orgamnized provocation of Security Service of Ukraine, Right Sector and somer activistsx from the parties Batykivshina and Svoboda - in order to inspire all ‘separatists’ in fear.
It’s strange that you know nothing about it!..

1 Like

I think it is best to wait until an investigation is complete. There are all kinds of accusations and counter accusations. I have not read the articles you mention. By googling I was only able to find this report from the BBC.

This article from Wikipedia is also a useful source of information on some of the competing claims.

There was a bloody battle, which probably could have been averted if the police had done their job.

Both sides can fabricate their stories as convincing as they want, just like the Maidan event.

So only 2 sources with a Pro-Kiev side of the story? There are tons of sources containing the Anti-Maidan side of the story. I guess a lot of Western media must be downplaying the event since they can’t figure out a way to make up stories convincing enough.

A quote from a Canadian media watchdog:
(Spinning the Odessa Massacre - Global ResearchGlobal Research - Centre for Research on Globalization)

“The US condemned the violence in Odessa, but failed to identify the provocateurs or assign blame and instead called for an “investigation” into the deaths – the diplomatic equivalent of shrugging one’s shoulders. This response comes in sharp contrast to the West’s politically motivated responses to alleged government-sanctioned violence elsewhere in the world, most notably in Libya in 2011, and currently in Syria.”

1 Like

Of course, the killing on Odessa was a big provocation that now is admitted in different countries except Ukraine authorities because they themselves organized it like also the sniper shooting in Maidan.
You can write it in this Russian article based on the stories of the eyewitnesses:

1 Like

I prefer to wait for more information rather than fanning the flames of controversy, both with regard to the deaths in Odessa and the sniper attacks on the Maidan.

There is lots of false information out there on both. Here is an interesting example of Russian media fabrication of false information re the snipers at the Maidan.

Edwin, re your Canadian media watchdog, it is worth knowing a little about the background of this site, which usually parrots the Kremlin line.

from the websites Rational Wiki and Wikipedia

"Globalresearch.ca (also under the domain name globalresearch.org) may best be described as the moonbat equivalent to WorldNetDaily. It is the website of the Montreal-based non-profit The Centre for Research on Globalisation (CRG) founded by Michel Chossudovsky.

Despite presenting itself as a source of scholarly analysis, Globalresearch.ca mostly consists of polemics many of which accept (and use) conspiracy theories, pseudoscience and propaganda. The prevalent conspiracist strand relates to global power-elites (primarily governments and corporations) and their New World Order. Specific featured conspiracy theories include those addressing 9/11, vaccines, genetic modification, Zionism, HAARP, global warming, and David Kelly. Analyses of these issues tend follow the lines of the site’s political biases. Apparently, contributors to Globalresearch.ca consider information sourced from anyone who seems aligned to their ideology as reliable; during the 2011 Libyan civil war the site was an apologist for Muammar al-Gaddafi, reproducing his propaganda and painting him as a paragon of a modern leader. "

“In 2001, Chossudovsky founded the Centre for Research on Globalisation (CRG), located in Montreal, Canada, becoming its editor and director. It is “committed to curbing the tide of globalisation and disarming the new world order”.[6] CRG maintains websites in several languages, including the English-language GlobalResearch.ca, which are critical of United States foreign policy and NATO as well as the official explanation of the September 11 attacks in 2001 and the war on terror. They are also concerned with media disinformation,[how?] poverty and social inequality, the global economic crisis, and politics and religion.[citation needed] He has called the Free Syrian Army a de facto paramilitary creation of NATO.[7] The deaths of protesters in Maidan Square in Kiev in spring 2014, according to Chossudovsky, were ‘triggered by Neo-Nazi elements’ used, ‘to break the legitimacy of a duly elected government.’[8] He is a favoured commentator at Russia Today.[9] His opinion is regularly asked for by Press TV.[4][5][6]”

It is ironic that with today’s technologies, producing an abundance of videos and photos of the incident, the media can still manage to play tricks with these ‘evidences’ (I am talking about media from both sides).

I am actually more interested in Kremlin’s reaction after the Odessa incident. Many people believed that Putin would use this as a pretext to invade Ukraine, but he did not (at least not yet). Either OSCE has done a great job, or some behind-the-scene deal was struck.

If this happens in Syria, I think there will be a large “international intervention” in no time, and Assad would be dead before the actual investigation begins.

1 Like

Globalresearch.ca is an anti-global-domination website, and I am well aware of that. They believe in that the world is controlled by a small group of ‘elitists’, which have their own agendas (not about money, as these people are already super rich).

I am not a conspiracy theorist, so I don’t buy into their theories about 9/11 and such. But a lot of their viewpoints do make a lot of sense to me, such as the quote above.

Globalresearch.ca is supporters of the “NATO-expansion” theory, but they are not alone. A lot of people are supporting this view. And to me, this explains a lot of events that happened in Europe after the fall of the Soviet Union, including the current Ukrainian crisis.

There is also another theory about US “Middle-East roadmap”. Again,Globalresearch.ca is only one of the many supporters. This very well explains what is going on in the Middle-East, too.

If these theories hold, all these Odessa incident, Maidan incident, and even the Syrian chemical attack are not really that much relevant, as they are just parts of the greater plans.

New lesson: Login - LingQ

Today, Putin commented on his troops pulling back from the Ukrainian border.

During the 18th St Petersburg International Economic Forum, Putin reminded Ukraine to pay their gas bills.

However, Edwin, it’s more important that Putin said that Russia would perhaps accept the results of the Ukrainian election and appealed Kiev to the peaceful solution of the problem in the East of Ukraine instead of the civil war and new victims.

Yes, I read that somewhere today. But I still need to look for the audio and transcript. If you have the links, please let me know. Спасибо!

Edwin, I found only the description of Putin’s today’s sppech in St Ptersburg economuical forum on You tube.
Here is the link:

But I believe that tomorrow you can find there the full speech also in the English translation.
However, even in this description Putin together with the critic of Western politicas towards Ukraine said tyhat Russia would accept the new Ukrainian President and would try to have peaceful relertions with this country.
At least, he didn’t fear Kiev that Russia would invade to the East of Ukraine.