IWAN THE TERRIBLE and STALIN (pages of Russian history)

Who are interested in the complicated, but fascinating pages of Russian history and not able to read in Russian can now learn a bit more about two clever, but very cruel rules of Russia: the tsar Iwan the Terrible and the communist leader J. Stalin.
Hear is the link to the English version of the article about Iwan the Terrible:

And hear is the link to the article about Stalin:

Who reads in Russian, they can also find these aricles in Russian in the collections “СТРАНИЦЫ РУССКОЙ ИСТОРИИ”( ИВАН ГРОЗНЫЙ) и ДЕНЬ ЗА ДНЕМ (от 23 декабря 2012 г.- ДЕНЬ РОЖДЕНИЯ СТАЛИНА")

2 Likes

написано здесь “винтовка”, а я думаю более точно говорить “мушект”? я еще не знаю язык, кроме английский и русский, который делает разницу между “винтовка” и “мушект”.

1 Like

винтовка- fits more for 20 century
мушкет". - would be from earlier ages.

Я сейчас не помню, в каком предложении было это слово, но, возможно, я использовал слово “винтовка”, чтобы не нагружать студентов вышедшим из употребления словом “мушкет”.

Наверно так, ничего. Оказывается еще одно слово “пишаль”. Мне только немного трудно, когда я вспомню то, что ‘винт’ и ‘rifle’ относится к одинаковому процессу.

Just a quick comment, in English, the name is Ivan. Iwan is the German spelling. You might want to correct this in the lesson title. The text seems to have it correct.

That reminds me of a German person I once knew who insisted on writing the word vamp as “wamp” - which he however pronounced as “wheymp” on the grounds that it is an English loanword! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Colin, I’ve corrected spelling in the English version.
What about the pronunciation - it’s difficult to say how it would be better: EE-va: n (like in Russian or German) or Aiven (like it’s often in English) because it’s a proper noun - and about the pronunciation of the proper nouns there are two different points of view among the philogists.
The podcast was read by an American English native speaker and I didn’t object her pronunciation of the name ‘Iwan’.

Let’s call him ‘John Gruesome’ then:)

I think both pronunciations are fine.

I read lots of scientific publications from German speakers who love to use the word Ansatz because for some reason they found it in the English dictionary. Nobody knows what it means of course.

what about rasputin

I found the film by Sergei Eisenstein online. The sound quality was so-so, but still understandable. It helps that all speech is Slow! Grand! And! Emotive!! Which is to say that, although it seems overdone by modern standards, in addition to being very evocative it is fairly easy to pick out the words.

We have two or three films about Rasputin. Try to find them in YouTube.
Maybe one day later I’ll write an article about this magic person.