Interesting Content

Hi,

Where do you guys find your content, do you use all the material from the LingQ site or bring in text and audio from somewhere else?

Thanks

Both variants. You can create your own text/audio as well.

Solena, so I am wondering, where do you get this other content from, is there a website you use that has text and audio?

If you find some interesting materials on other websites to learn you should ask a permission for sharing some content from the author. You can send email to the author about this. In most cases, it won’t be any problem with it. Of course, you should put the link to author’s website. If you don’t share texts on the Lingq, only using privately, in this case you just uploaded the materials in your profile. And enjoy!

For a language like Spanish, there really is not a tangible limit to what you can find. Especially in the US and Canada. If you want proof, go to the nearest hispanic grocery store and pick up the local Spanish language newspaper. I assure you that there is one. Play with the radio dial until you get the station playing that funny music that isn’t Rush or Celine Dion (I’m imagining that every other radio station in Canada plays nothing but Rush and Celine Dion).

Just google. Seriously. Use Spanish google if you want. Same goes for Italian.

2 Likes

Hi guys,

I am new here as well and trying to open my mind to Steve’s way of learning new languages. I am used to being a in a classroom with an instructor teaching in the typical method. I am a little unsure of the type of material I should be looking for. Do you recommend combining lingq with traditional classroom type materials (vocabulary, grammar rules, etc)? Or should I just look for other material online that I enjoy reading…similar to the lessons here? I hope I’m making sense.

I am learning Spanish and I know there’s so much material out there…I just want to choose the right TYPE of material that would go along with Steve’s linq method.

“I am learning Spanish and I know there’s so much material out there…I just want to choose the right TYPE of material that would go along with Steve’s linq method.”

Well, I’m not Steve, but I can make you a checklist to use based on my understanding of what he has said in his videos, blog, and book.

Does the material interest you?

Okay, I think that’s it.

There is the whole debate about how many words should be unknown in ideal material. Let’s just leave that talk for later.

I am at the very beginning in one language, and at a fairly advanced level in another. I have found I like grammar at these two levels. The grammar book is there for you when you need clarification on something.

I have used the content at LingQ alot at first for my Spanish, lately I like to import the daily news in Spanish and I can read it quite well and LingQ helps me understand the words that are unknown to me.

@nayettaj [Do you recommend combining lingq with traditional classroom type materials (vocabulary, grammar rules, etc)?]

I recommend using learning materials in the form of basic instruction. After an introduction to the language, i.e. completing a beginner’s collection or two at LingQ, look at a couple of basic beginner books and a grammar reference. Use these materials in conjunction with the lessons in the LingQ library.

(As you advance in the language, you’ll have different needs.)

Thanks so much for your helps guys. As for interesting content I found some Spanish recipes online in combination with cooking videos that I enjoy so I’m going to combine those with the content I find here at LingQ. I will start using grammar references and books later as I progress.

Muchas gracias!

@nayettaj, that sounds like a great plan!