"at the gym" and "in the gym"? I found some

“at the gym” and “in the gym”? I found some sentence from gym noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com
“to play basketball in the gym” and “I work out at the gym most days.”
Do those preposition define by gym? while gym means a private club,using 'at the gym; Gym means a room or hall with equipment for doing physical exercise, using 'in the gym.

“I work out at the gym.”
This generally refers to a place with exercise and work-out equipment, like a fitness center or a larger membership club, like the YMCA.

“I play basketball in the gym.”
This generally refers to a gymnasium at a school, which consists primarily of a basketball court and bleachers (seats), where school assemblies, pep rallies, gymnastics, gym class, indoor sports, namely basketball, and other activities may take place.

Try not to get too bogged down with prepositions.
You work out AT a location: at the gym.
You play basketball IN a room AT a location: in the gym at school.
You shop AT a location: at the grocery store; at the mall.
However, you also shop AT a place of business, which may be located IN a larger venue:
at the mall in the city; at the shoe store in the mall.

2 Likes

Thank your excellent explanation. I got it.

1 Like

the same thing is with: ‘at school’ and ‘in a school’

at the gym (as opposed to at home, at my friend’s house, or any other location)
I’ll meet you at the gym (as opposed to any other location)
I was at school (as opposed to any other location, e.g. at home, at my father’s office, at the store, at the mall, etc)

“the gym” refers to the place where a person goes for physical exercise, for a physical workout. All of these health club, an athletic club, a fitness club, a sports center or any of countless other titles,might be referred to my a user-member as “the gym”.