Is “What does it seem to be a problem?” a common way to ask?

I have a friend who is a nurse and works at general hospital.

When non-Japanese patients walk in her clinic, she wants to know how to ask their symptoms in English.

I read somewhere that “What does it seem to be a problem?” is a phrase that doctors ask patients in the beginning of consultation. Can a nurse use this phrase to ask visitors, too? Are there any phrases a nurse would say in this situation?

Thanks.

1 Like

It’s fine, but correct grammar would be “What seems to be the problem?” Some other possible greetings in a clinic:
What brings you here today?
What can we help you with?
What ails you?
etc

2 Likes

Any one responsible for receiving/greeting an incoming customer (“patient” in the medical setting) can use:

(1) What brings you here today?
(2) What seems to be the problem today?
(3) What can we do for you today?
(4) What can I do for you today?
(5) “What does it seem to be a problem?” is incorrect English and should not be used by anyone
(6) What seems to be a problem?
(7) What is the problem?
(8) Why have you come to see us today?

I like the first one. It is the most neutral, the gentle-ist. :wink:

There is no differentiation between MDs and RNs when it comes to greeting/receiving/triaging an incoming “patient”. Who says what to whom is not a function of job title or formal education achievements, but rather a function of that person’s role/function in the patient contact part of the business, the business of the medical practice.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, everyone!

I’m not sure how much my friend understands English. But, even though she doesn’t understand what her patients have to say very much, it is a nice gesture to speak to them in English, isn’ it? :wink:

Thank you Yukiko and Wulgar for the roses. :slight_smile: