I can not understand the difference between "constitution" and "structure".

I can not understand the difference between “construction” and “structure”. They are similar to me.

I would not use the word “constitution” when discussing construction. Constitution can refer to a whole body as in “a healthy constitution”. Another definition of constitution is how power is used within a country. In construction, a structure is something that is built, like a building or a bridge.

Or did you mean you don’t understand the difference between construction and structure? Construction refers to the overall act of building something, roads, buildings dams etc. The structure is what is left behind, be it a dam or a bridge or building. Roads are not called structures.

1 Like

Sentence ‘construction’ and ‘structure’ are essentially synonymous, although the way in which these two nouns are used in a sentence can be syntactically different.

Sentence construction is the arrangement of words according to rules of syntax, i.e. the way in which a sentence is built by native speakers. Sentence ‘structure’ also describes the way in which a sentence is built; the way in which the words are arranged.

“It’s a bit of a strange construction.” = It’s a bit of a strange arrangement of words. = It’s a bit of a strange way to build a sentence. = The structure is a bit strange.

“This is just fairly common structure.” = This is just a fairly common way in which words are arranged. = This is just a fairly common way to build a sentence. = This is just a fairly common way in which sentences are built. = This is just fairly common construction.

To louise’s very good point, because a sentence is an abstract thing (a thought) which can also be recorded in concrete form (writing), the normal differentiation between construction (the act of building) and structure (what is left behind) doesn’t apply.

1 Like

Think of constitution as “ingredients”. Think of structure as “the physical relationships (physical connections) between component parts.”

1 Like

Wow, I really took that question out of context, you can tell I am an engineer. The English language has a lot of words with wildly different meanings.

Constitution is referring to you rules and standards put down in document form. Structure is how you run things. The day to day order… Then there is Constitution as in you overall physical health. Structure would just be referring to your body.

Thank you. Type error"constitution", I re-edit my post question.

Did you mean that Think of construction as “ingredients”?
It’s a good expression for me as a beginner.

Thank you for your detail explaining. I got it.

Sorry, I type error. I mean what’s different between ‘construction’ and ‘structure’?

Now that you have asked specifically for the difference between “construction” and “structure”, despite everyone else already answering, I’ll add a link for you too:

with the following excerpt:

"As nouns the difference between structure and construction is that structure is a cohesive whole built up of distinct parts while construction is the process of constructing.

As a verb structure is to give structure to; to arrange."

Do you need more information or are you happy now with all the answers you have been given? :slight_smile:

Oh that’s fine. The difference between the two is this: Construction is the building process of any structure. Example: the building up of a tower or a home; Structure is the building once it is finished. example: a store that’s already selling stuff… I hope this helped you. :blush:

1 Like

No, actually. I meant “constitution.” I was addressing the question in the title: QUOTE I can not understand the difference between “constitution” and “structure” END QUOTE.

Thank you. I type error. It’s ‘construction’, not ‘constitution’. I do’t know how to correct my title,but I have correct the content of this title.

Thank your expression. It’s easy to understand. I got it.