I am confused about phrase "for a long time" and

I am confused about phrase “for a long time” and “in a long time”. I almost see the phrase “for a long time”. It is my first time to see the phrase “in a long time” in this lesson.

They can be used interchangeably usually. “I haven’t seen you for a long time” or “I haven’t seen you in a long time”. “For a long time” can also be used to indicate the duration of an event. I am guessing you are a Mandarin speaker by your ROC flag. In speech, saying “Long time, no see” is very common instead though and it might be easy for you to remember when you compare it to 好久不見/好久不见 in Mandarin.

1 Like

They are interchangeable when referring to the past.

“I haven’t seen my grandfather in a long time/ for a long time.”

Listen to the song “For The Longest Time” by Billy Joel.

“That hasn’t happened for the longest time.” “I haven’t been there for the longest time”.

You could say “in the longest time” for both of these.

However, only “for” works for the present or future.

“I have been studying Chinese for a long time.”

“I will be away from home for a long time.”

“I won’t be going there again for a long time.”

Using “in” in the above sentences would be incorrect, because they refer to the length of time for which you have been doing something continuously, or haven’t been or won’t be.

1 Like

In fact, some say the expression “long time, no see” may have derived historically from a direct translation of the Chinese phrase, spoken by Chinese railroad workers in the U.S… While technically ungrammatical, it is a common set expression in a “pidgin English” style.

1 Like

Yes, I am a Mandarin speaker and speak the same language from china, but a little difference.
Thank for your explanation.