Translation of the sentence with "to"

Dear all, could you please answer on my childish question. How to translate these sentences below and which gramma with “to” particle is used in these situations. This type of sentences I very often meet in news and each time feel awkwardness in translation.

• Stratasys to Offer Universal Design-to-3D Print Softwar
  • Barack Obama to visit UK: US president’s trip confirmed

Barack Obama to visit UK: US president’s trip confirmed
Barack Obama (is going) to visit (the) UK: (the) US president’s trip (was) confirmed.

1 Like

Dear Yataka, Do I understand correctly that “to” in this case means “is going to”?

@fotos200

The “to” in your example sentences have the sense: “are planning to offer…” and “is scheduled to visit…”

(As Yutaka says, one could simply translate it as the future tense: “is going to offer…”, “will offer…”, “will visit…”, etc. However there may be a very subtle loss of meaning if you do that.)

To ftornay:
Thank you very much for your clarification. It seemed to be a grammar rule for this case. But in reality appeared it’s a particular brief style for the news presentation.

To Prinz_Schtik:
Am I understanding rihgt that you claim, that each concrete translation depends on the context and the future tense only gives a general direction.

Yes, that’s correct. It’s a set of conventions aimed at transmitting ideas in a brief and energetic way that disregards a few aspects of the standard English grammar. It has some points in common with the style of texts sent by telegram.
That’s one reason why the exact “translation” (rather, gloss) might change depending on context, as Jay pointed out.

Yes, I think it does depend on context. Some random examples:

“My sister is to be married” - This is almost exactly the same as the future tense. She is going to be married, she will be married.

“The house is to be sold” - This conveys intention first and foremost. Someone wants to sell the house, it will probably happen at some point. But there isn’t necessarily any definite arrangement already in place (there may or may not be.)

“I am to visit America next month” - This is very much like the future tense. It certainly has to do with a definite plan. But maybe the emphasis is on the plan rather than the certainty of the action happening?

“I have some letters to write” - This could be loosely paraphrased by future tense “I’m going to write some letters”. But here the emphasis is definitely on the present i.e. on having something which needs to be done.

Thanks a lot!
Please, help me to guess another riddle :slight_smile: from BBC News

Taiwan, the place to be a woman in politics

= a very good place to be a women in politics.

There is perhaps a missing verb " is" in these sentences. News headlines are often very terse in this way. The full standard form is: “Obama is to visit the UK.” Which means that he will visit, or intends to visit.

This form is not used too frequently in common speech. But I might say, “I am to see my dentist tomorrow.”

To: Prinz_Schtik

Thank you, I’d have thought that the place is going to be a woman in politics without your explanation :slight_smile:

To: khardy

Thank you, I’ve dicovered that the solving of News headlines is an exciting activity which greatly stimulates the learning process.

With all the missing words: Taiwan is the (best) place in which to be a woman in politics.