I DON´T LIKE HUNT

I DON´T LIKE HUNT

Hunt=caça
But it is a figurative meaning in the article.
The corrupt oficials think about the country like about the place for hunting money, not more.
That’s why they are more dangerous than the real enemies.

1 Like

to hunt = to shoot = to chase.

Thanks for the help

thanks

“That’s why they are interested only in one thing: how quickly they can accumulate money here so that they can send their children to study in Sweden, England or France, to buy a substantial house somewhere in London or Florida and send their families to and then leave themselves, while recalling life in Russia as a bad dream which has finally ended.”

Assuming that this description is true, I wonder why they hope to live in London or Florida. Are these cities almost Utopias for wealthy immigrants from Russia? What do London and Florida have in common? I imagine that the climate of London is different from that of Florida.

Yutaka, the commom is that all these countries are rich: the USA, Great Britain, Sweden or France.
And our corruptionists would like to make money, often illegally, close to plunder, in Russia, but to live in a richer country.
And that’s our Russiasn ‘curse’ - instead to invest received money to Russia, the most of our oligarchs flee with the robbed money to other countries - and Russia is left poor and not well developped.
And it will be until our rich get more patriotic like in other countries and like our rich were before 1917.

Both London and Florida have a large Russian population, the same as the South of France. Being able to be “home from home” is an attraction for many would-be expats. In London you find super rich and super poor Russians, though. In St Tropez I only saw the super rich, but there are bound to be less well-off ones down there, too :slight_smile:

“But what kind of experience? What kind of human beings? Miller is writing about the man in the street, and it is incidentally rather a pity that it should be a street full of brothers. That is the penalty of leaving your native land. It means transferring your roots into shallower soil. Exile is probably more damaging to a novelist than to a painter or even a poet, because its effect is to take him out of contact with working life and narrow down his range to the street, the cafe, the church, the brothel and the studio. On the whole, in Miller’s books you are reading about people living the expatriate life, people drinking, talking, meditating, and fornicating, not about people working, marrying, and bringing up children; a pity, because he would have described the one set of activities as well as the other.”

According to George Orwell, “a home away from home” is not a suitable place for writers. I assume that great novelists are unwiling to move out from the country, where Антон Павлович Чехов lived.

“In London you find super rich and super poor Russians …” This is very interesting. I wonder how this phenomenon could be analyzed. I imagine that these two groups of Russian “expats” are living independently of each other in different places in London. Will Russia become like a middle-class only country? Is this a good thing or a bad thing for Russian people?

I guess you’re a junior doctor in the NHS, then? :slight_smile:

Some of the most patriotic Russians, highly vocal in their anti-Western, anti-European rhetoric, own property, or have children living or studying in the West. Alexei Navalny the opposition figure, has exposed many cases. The problem is not a lack of patriotism. The problem is the business and investment climate in Russia.

I am not sure that non-rich Russians in London are super poor. My older son Eric, who is a professor at the University of London, has been playing ice hockey on a team of foreigners in London, and there are usually a few Russians, just normal working people.

I guess “poor” is in any case a relative term?

I read somewhere that people who are considered below the poverty line in Western Europe are in most cases very far from being destitute in (say) African terms…

There are certainly some “poor” people around here who smoke 20 cigarettes a day, drive an okay-ish car, and take foreign holidays each year…

Also came here expecting to find a political rant.

Apropos Jeremy Hunt, he is a fluent speaker of Japanese and Mandarin, I believe? (Which makes him quite unusual among modern British politicians.)

True, they are a monolingual lot generally, although there are quite a few Spanish speakers around (including the other Jeremy of course) as I hear them pop up on Spanish radio from time to time. Another outlier is Nick Clegg, who speaks Spanish, Dutch, German and French. Or so says Wikipedia.

Yes, his mother was Dutch, and he grew up with that language. And of course he’s married to a (stunning!)) Spanish lady. His German isn’t quite so impressive though (I heard him once - he’s basically functional but nothing more.)