What this mean, can anyone explain to me?

What this mean, can anyone explain to me?

At a job interview, you’d better look a bit too “conservative” than a bit too informal. So, when in doubt, go for more a formal look.

“To err on the side of” is a common expression. It means to take the chance of doing or being something too much, perhaps, in order to avoid the risk of not doing it enough.

To err on the side of being conservative means to be perhaps more conservative than necessary, but thereby avoiding the risk of not being conservative enough. Being conservative in this context means adopting a conservative appearance – taking off earrings, etc.

“To err on the side of caution” is a commonly used phrase. Literally it means that if you’re going to make a mistake (err), your mistake will be in being too cautious, rather than being too risky.

I could avoid a flu vaccination and probably be okay. But I err on the side of caution and get vaccinated every year.

[edit]

“Side” in this context does not mean “flank”. It means one of two or more alternatives – left side / right, for example. The writer recommends choosing the conservative alternative or option.

Simply put, it means to “lean towards”, “give favour to” or to “be partial” to the side of conservatism/being conservative.

Good luck