"Lord W----" What is dot-line after W?

I’m reading “Black Beauty”. Chapter24 “Early in the spring, Lord W---- and part of his family went up to London, and took York with them. “
Why are there dot-line after “Lord W”? It’s strange. The narrator also skips the part of “W----”. Why?

“W&#8212” might mean a surname that begins with the letter W. A dash(&#8212) is used to show that the name is abbreviated for some reason.

"The em-dash can be created on the PC by using holding down the ALT key and typing 0151 on the numeric keypad. Only the numbers on the right hand keypad do this, not the numbers above the letters.
On the Mac, press Shift-Option and the minus key to make en em-dash.
You can use — in HTML to add the em-dash to a website.”

I wonder if “----” should read “&#8212”. The former is made of four hyphens and the latter is an em-dash.

“- – —”. Can you see the differences? A hyphen(or a minus sign), an en-dash, and an em-dash in that order.

Hi, Yutaka san, Thank you.

“W—” might mean a surname that begins with the letter W.
I also think so. Maybe it’s the name beginning with the letter “W”.

“- – —”. Can you see the differences?
Yes, I can see the different sizes.

When the story was written, I guess the full name beginning with “W” was actually written at that time, and some letters after “W” were deleted for some reason. Anyway, I want you to listen to the audio. The voice is unnaturally skipped “W”. The narration makes us image that the voice part of the full name was cut out of the story after recording with the full. There are many others skipped like that in this audio book. I can’t help but think that it’s strange.

Lord Westland?

“At one point, Black Beauty and Ginger are sold to Lord Westland at Earl’s Hall in London. Lady Westland is unkind to the horses and makes them wear bearing reins so that they hold their heads high, which was fashionable in London at the time.”
http://www.hyperink.com/Summary-Of-Black-Beauty-b968a12

“Lady W – Wife of Lord W. Demands that Beauty and Ginger wear bearing reins to hold their heads up high. When York tries to comply with Lady W’s order Ginger lashes out, kicking everything around her.”

1 Like

I wonder why the name is “unprintable”. Did someone whose surname was Westland ask the publisher not to use the name in the story? Or, is this related to the Westland Affair?

1 Like

How did you find them!? Amazing!
Apparently it is written as “W伯爵” in “黒馬物語” in Japanese version. Mr. and Mrs. W are vicious people. That’s why I wonder the full name “Westland” was deleted.
Those sites you linked are very interesting for me. Yutaka-san, I appreciate your help.

Did someone whose surname was Westland ask the publisher not to use the name in the story? Or, is this related to the Westland Affair?

I’m filled with curiosity. Some affairs like that to disgrace its name might have happened, or actual person of its name might not have wanted such a vicious character to use the good name. It inspired me to a variety of imaginations.