Não entendi o significado. Obrigado

Não entendi o significado. Obrigado.

It means “I harshly criticized myself”.
The common expression is “Don’t beat yourself up” which means “don’t hate yourself for what happened” or “give yourself a break, don’t be so harsh in self-criticism”.

A common expression is:
Don’t beat yourself up over it.
where “it” refers to a mistake or mistakes you have made in the past, or to something you didn’t say or didn’t do in the past that you now think you should have said or done.

A descriptive definition might be: Don’t obsessively blame yourself for mistakes you have made in the past, or things that you can’t do anything about, to the point where you cause yourself great mental distress or harm.

“I beat myself up” expresses a strong feeling of regret, compounded by self-blaming.

If you ask yourself:
Why am I always beating myself up over everything?
it’s kind of ironic, because you are blaming yourself for blaming yourself. You are feeling regret over the fact that you always feel regretful about things. You feel guilty for feeling guilty.

The (figurative) expression “to beat oneself up” probably originated from the concept of self-flagellation — the (literal) act of hitting oneself with a whip as part of a religious ritual.

You can Google “don’t beat yourself up” or “I beat myself up” (each in quotes) and find hundreds of examples of this expression being used.

The expression can also be taken to simply mean “to worry about.”
Why am I always beating myself up over everything?
Why am I always worrying about everything?

Here are two examples I found online of someone rhetorically asking:
Why should I beat myself up?
where the expression more closely means “worry about.”

Why should I beat myself up over a person who claims they love me so dearly but doesn’t act like it?
— source: Twitter
Why should I worry over someone who says that they love me but doesn’t show me that they love me?

“Is that what you do?” I ask. “Just forget about your problems and they go away?”
“No! I’m not a total slacker. Okay, maybe I am, sometimes. But why should I beat myself up trying to fix things I can’t fix? That’s just, like, useless.”
— source: ‘Mirror Image’ by K.L. Denman
“Is that what you do?” I ask. “Just forget about your problems and they go away?”
“No! I’m not a lazy, apathetic person who avoids any kind of effort. Okay, maybe I am, sometimes. But why should I worry about trying to correct things I can’t do anything about? That serves no purpose.”
Or: Why should I worry about trying to make things better when I can’t change them?

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you!