What is "to vet"? Thank you

What is “to vet”?
Thank you.

to check… to verify… I’ve only seen it used when companies “vet” candidates applying for jobs

I guess this comes from the veterinarian, a doctor for pets / animals.
(to) vet somebody means the same as (to) doctor somebody. But the most common case is to vet an animal/pet.
(to) investigate somebody

In your case from your “Ted Talks” it means probably to patch something in a way you need it to have.

to vet — to thoroughly check out

Typically the term “vetting” is applied to a person who is being considered for a high level position in the government. The person is thoroughly investigated and questioned in order to assure all interested parties that the person is not only highly qualified and suited for the job, but is reliable, can be trusted and can keep classified information secret. If the person successfully makes it through the “vetting process” then the person is considered to be “vetted.”

A news organization may also critically and carefully examine an information source to determine that the source is reliable and trustworthy and that the information is newsworthy before releasing the information to the general public. This is also called “vetting.”

I haven’t checked Oxford, but according to online sources, the term originated from horse-racing. If a race horse was “vetted,” it meant the horse had been given a check-up by a veterinarian to ensure that the horse was healthy enough to be allowed to race.