Dutch vocabulary test — Woordentest

Universiteit Gent has developed a wonderful Dutch vocabulary test. Great for native Dutch speakers or for those of us who are learning Dutch.

The link is below. But…

Before you take the test, here are some facts and tips about the test which I recommend that you follow when taking the test in order for you to achieve the most accurate score that reflects your knowledge of Dutch vocabulary. There is a test for children and adolescents as well as a test for adults. I recommend that you take both. But these facts and tips are directed toward the adult test:

• There are 100 words on the adult test.

• 30 percent are non-existent words.

• Your score is based chiefly on what percentage of the remaining 70 words you know. But if you mark a non-existent word that appears to be Dutch as YES, that counts against your score. You should avoid doing this. But this is key: Don’t let that deter you from marking a word that you know, namely an English word, as YES just because you are uncertain whether it exists in the Dutch vocabulary. Mark those words YES. For example, pick-up. According to http://www.woorden.org/ , pick-up refers 1) to a turntable, but also 2) to a pick-up truck, just like in English.

• All of the words are available for you to review at the end of the test. The test will list all words in four categories (not necessarily in this order): Existent words that you marked as known. AWESOME! Existent words that you marked as unknown. GREAT! Non-existent words that you marked as unknown. FANTASTIC! Non-existent words which you marked as known. VERY BAD! — this last category should be as close to zero as possible! But I repeat, don’t let that deter you from marking words YES that you know but are uncertain whether they are in the Dutch vocabulary! For example, jetlag.

• There are a number of obscure words. A few are Belgian Dutch (or so-called Flemish) words, but essentially all of the words are Dutch. Some obscure words, such as aam or oliesel, are identified on http://www.woorden.org/ by what percentage of Netherlanders or Belgians (Nederlanders or Vlamingen) know the word, based on this very test.

• If a common Dutch word, such as uitdaging or rechtvaardigheid, is familiar to you but you have forgotten or are uncertain of the meaning of the word, mark it as NO, even though you recognize the word. Review at the end of the test.

• If you see a word that clearly appears to be a Dutch word, such as betaalmiddel or geldzaak, but you do not know its true meaning, mark it as NO.

• If you see an English word that you know well, such as incompetent or umpire, but you have not encountered the word in Dutch and are not certain whether it is also a Dutch word, mark it YES.

• If you see a Dutch word which you have not encountered yet, such as ‘adulatie’ or ‘rekruteren,’ but which appears to be a true cognate of an English word that you know well, such as ‘adulation’ or ‘to recruit,’ mark it YES.

• Enjoy the test!

http://woordentest.ugent.be/

1 Like

I’m finding that, no matter what, you have to review all of the words and adjust your score to get a more accurate reading.

For example, I took the test for a third time — it seems to be a large, scientific sample, since all of the words have been completely different each time — and came out with a score of 47 (33 out of 70 words known).

But after reviewing, I found that I had marked 10 words as YES that I didn’t actually know the correct or accurate meaning:
cameratoezicht, commissaris, katsjoe, meevaller, staatsvijand, uitzoeken, voorbijlopen, voederen, voorkomend and zeepdoos.

Then there were another 6 that I had marked as NO, but when I looked at them again, I actually did know the meaning:
despoot, luidruchtig, republikeins, speet, statuesk and zandzee.

So my adjusted score is 41 (29 out of 70).

The adjusted score of the first test was 41 (29 out of 70); the average adjusted score of the previous two tests was 38 (53 out of 140), and the average of all three tests is 39 (82 out of 210).

So I’m going to say my Dutch vocabulary is around 40 percent.

(Edited)

I initially had said I got halsbrekend wrong, but actually I had it right, e.g. halsbrekende snelheid = breakneck speed, was the first thing that came to mind. But for some reason when I looked it up on woorden.org I got the false impression that I had it wrong. Then later, I was like: of course that’s right! Maybe I was just tired and not thinking clearly.

Leuk, Het woord ‘katsjoe’ had ik nog nooit van gehoord, en leuk om het woord pick-up te zien, (uitgesproken als piekup voor platenspeler). Ik zal de test een keer doen als ik rustig de tijd heb, ik probeerde het net, maar dan typ ik te snel op de toetsen, en je kunt het niet corrigeren.
Groetjes,
Silvia

Leuk Silvia!

Een pickup (zonder streep) is ook een gitaarelement, een opnemer voor een elektrische gitaar, maar waarschijnlijk wist je dat al. Het lijkt me dat er geen informatie beschikbaar is over hoeveel Nederlanders of Vlamingen dit woord kennen.

Katsjoe dacht ik een variant van hatsjoe te zijn, maar natuurlijk is dat niet zo. Per http://www.woorden.org/ : “Volgens het Centrum voor Leesonderzoek kent 7% van de Nederlanders en 34% van de Vlamingen het woord katsjoe.” Dus ja, heel weinig bekend.

Als je de verkeerde letter typt, dan kan je het niet corrigeren. Is dat wat je bedoelt? Het maakt niet zoveel uit want je kan zelf je resultaten (en score dus) corrigeren.

Groetjes!

woorden waarmee ik JA zei maar eigenlijk was het NEE:
cameratoezicht – ik dacht: camera perspectief ipv video surveillance
commissaris – commissary (een soort supermarkt) ipv Commissioner
katsjoe – variant van hatsjoe ipv catechu
meevaller – verward met tegenvaller
staatsvijand – “enemy of the state” ja, maar niet meteen “public enemy (number one)” dus dat telt als verkeerd
uitzoeken – onderzoeken
voorbijlopen – voorbijgaan
voederen – voedsel
voorkomend – aanstaande
zeepdoos – “soap box” ja, maar niet soap dish

woorden waarmee ik NEE zei (voor een of andere reden) maar eigenlijk was het JA:

despoot – despot
luidruchtig – noisy
republikeins – Republicans
speet – spit
statuesk – statuesque
zandzee – woestijn

p.s.
Test voor kinderen en jongeren net probeerde. Ik typte te snel NEE voor ‘popster’ (en een paar andere woorden), maar natuurlijk was het JA!

Ik heb het ook een paar keer geprobeerd, maar blijf schommelen rond de 90 procent. Ik kom niet hoger. Er zijn woorden die ik echt niet ken, bv. shimmyen, maar ook woorden die je in de spreektaal gebruikt, maar eigenlijk nooit schrijft. Bv. harses, Ik kreeg een klap op mijn harses (meer uitgesproken als hasses). Maar ik heb dat nog nooit geschreven gezien, ik heb het altijd als een verplatting van hersens gezien. Leuk.

1 Like

Net de test gedaan en ik kwam uit op slechts 71%. Geen fouten gemaakt, maar wel een aantal waar ik niet zeker van was. Veel woorden zijn typisch voor Nederland en worden niet gebruikt in Vlaanderen, wat natuurlijk de zaak moeilijker maakt. Misschien zal na deze test een duidelijk onderscheid gemaakt worden tussen Nederlands Nederlands en Vlaams Nederlands. (en ter verduidelijking: Vlaams Nederlands is niet hetzelfde als Vlaams) Ironisch genoeg scoorde ik 81% op de Engelse test…

Vandaag, 18 februari heb ik deze universitaire woordentest gedaan en mijn resultaat is dat ik 68 % van de Nederlandse woorden ken. 81 % van de juiste woorden had ik juist.

1 Like