Why add a de at the end of this sentence, other then possessive de what other function does adding de do to the sentence? e.g: 你们 怎么 找 到 这儿 的 小 马 带 我们 来 的 really confused

Why add a de at the end of this sentence, other then possessive de what other function does adding de do to the sentence? e.g:

你们 怎么 找 到 这儿 的
小 马 带 我们 来 的

really confused.

I am not a native speaker, however the 的 is often at it at the end of sentences and phrases. I find people in some parts of China do it more than in others. The Taiwanese seem to do it a lot. It is kind of redundant.

他跟我说了
他是跟我说的

These two sentences mean more or less the same thing. I wouldn’t look for too many reasons, rather I would try to get used to how the language is used. Save phrases here at LingQ so they show up again. And obviously the shorter the phrase you save it, the more likely you are to see it in a subsequent text.

It’s used in a declarative sentence for emphasis.I was interested in this actually as in the textbook it only mentioned the …shi…de construction(sorry no hanzi, this comp. is terrible for those,) but you don’t need to explicitly say the shi part. I’d advise you to use a pop up extension and float over the character to assist, i can’t do without it!

From my experience in China adding the de at the end of a sentence is very common indeed and where one might imagine the le particle might be more appropriate often there is a de in it’s place.

It also helps in balancing phrases superbly. I read that le and ne are used also for this purpose.
Good luck with the Chinese!

Thanks Steve

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by balancing?

Short answer : no one knows.

For an example of a longer answer - from an experienced Chinese teacher - see this lesson here :

eg:

Mr Ha:那么现在学中文的人也多,所以很多学生他们考虑的一些问题,其实我研究中文研究了几十年吧,有时候还不一定能够说的非常得清楚。

Wu Yin:能不能举个例子,什么样的问题?

Mr Ha:你比如说最简单的,对不对,你就“对不起”这种句子,你到底能不能给他分析一下这个结构。这个说老实话,我们现在也说不清楚。那只能告诉他,对不起就是sorry。因为你跟他一分析,越分析越不清楚。再一个你比如说我们经常见到的这个所谓“的”字结构对吧, 白勺“的”。

Wu Yin:嗯。

Mr Ha:这个因为这个“的”字是汉语里面使用频率最高的一个字。但是呢,“的”字到底有多少用法,我们说起来好像很容易,其实呢不是那么容易。你比如说,“你的书”“我的书”这个很好解释,对吧。

Wu Yin:嗯。

Mr Ha:再给你一个句子,“你今天是怎么来的”,你这个“的”就很难说。

Wu Yin:啊呵呵,英语里面没有这样的结构。

Mr Ha:对,你就很难解释

1 Like

Another thing I don’t get is why 儿 is added to the end of sentences/

It gives the sentence a roundness, making it more satisfying and complete.

Take the particle off the end say it and then add it back on again and hear the difference.

I read this in the teach yourself series, you should check that one out, though i think it’s a difficult beginners book.

1 Like

I just look at “儿” as a diminutive, like “chen” in German or “ito” in Spanish. Just there for no reason, other than to soften or add balance or rhythm to a word or statement. Bits of junk code, or illogical bits that happens in lots of languages, for example Да нет in Russian.

1 Like

I think im not going to think too much about the de, just let it come natural to me after a lot of exposure, thanks for the extensive answer though :slight_smile:

1 Like

的 can be used to mark completed action, like 了. It is also used after an attribute.

The attribute here is describing “how” the person found or came to the place.

Could you give other examples of this? thanks.

你午饭吃的什么?What did you have for lunch?
我吃的披萨。I had pizza.

Here, 的 could be replaced with 了 with the same meaning.

这家的披萨好吃吗?Is the pizza good here?
很好吃的! It’s delicious!

Here, 的 in the second sentence is following the attribute describing the pizza. It could easily be omitted without changing the simple meaning, but is a very common 语气词 (modal particle). Without it, the consequence could be sounding less enthused about the quality of the pizza, even though you plainly say it’s “delicious”.