I am a beginner and fifty five years old should

I am a beginner and fifty five years old should I start with who is she or the damn Chinese course a quick response would be great

The “Damn Simple Chinese” is easier, so why don’t you start with it?

I definitely agree. The “damn simple Chinese” lessons are a good place to begin.

Age isn’t really relevant. Pick something you can understand and are interested in. I would add the Perapera popup dictionary or something similar to your browser. You get instant translation and pinyin alternatives for all the words. Of course, you can use them to check the translations that come up in LingQ. I start with Perapera active, then disable it once I am fairly confident with the meaning of the sentences. I am now almost 73 years old and have been studying Chinese for about eighteen months. I am nearly up to beginner 2 on LingQ. I found that getting started in Chinese was much more difficult than getting started in Spanish or German, and at first I was quite frustrated. I wondered if I would ever get anywhere! Slowly my understanding has improved and now I can speak and read a little. Best wishes!

2 Likes

“I am now almost 73 years old”

Wow, you don’t look a day over 100,000!

…sorry, I got stuck remembering your old German word kill count. I just got half way there.

Thanks Colin! I’ll get back to German again one day. And I just made beginner 2 in Chinese!

That 100,000 was a heroic effort. I hope to get there one day.

Try them both and see which one you like, or go back and forth. You should also work on your characters. Good luck. Age doesn’t matter.

After a while, go to the Chinese Pod lessons. Alternate back and forth with them as well.

I have never been 55 years old, but I doubt that is an issue. I don’t know if starting with ‘Who Is She?’ is a great idea. The first lesson is quite easy, but it gets really difficult really fast. I tried starting Russian with ‘Who Is She?’ and it was almost impossible to follow.

There are some really good beginners courses in the library for Chinese. Why not go through a bunch of those and then go to ‘Who Is She?’. Of course, maybe you are not a complete beginner. I have no idea.

1 Like

(Spoiler Alert) That’s interesting. I found it pretty easy when I did it, but really annoying when in ended up being an advertisement. What a shame it took that turn.

As the person who wrote this story in 26 chapters, I can only say that it was written in a lighthearted way, with the intention of providing some repetition of language, some progression from simple language to more difficult language, and some motivation for the person to move onto the next chapter to see what silliness would happen. Anyone who reached the last chapter, a small percentage of people who started the course, was hardly a likely target for advertising, and the silly tone of the whole story should mitigate any sense of advertising. This is the first time anyone has suggested that the lighthearted plug for our learning system was in any way shameful. It is more like a spoof.