"The devil made me do it."()

“The devil made me do it.”

Buttons were there to be pressed, and he is going to resign.
A lawmaker voted twice by pressing the “aye” button for both himself and a fellow member whose seat was next to his at a plenary session in the upper house in Japan.
I think he is a kind person and he wanted to vote on behalf of the fellow member
who had left the plenary session before voting started, although he was not asked to do so.

“魔が差した” is a set phrase for this situation.
The devil made him to press the button next to his.
I wonder why the devil wanted to make him do so.

Buttons were there to be pressed, and he is going to resign. A lawmaker voted twice by pressing the “aye” button for both himself and a fellow member whose seat was next to his at a plenary session in the upper house in Japan.
I think he is a kind person and he wanted to vote on behalf of the fellow member who had left the plenary session before voting started, although he was not asked to do so. “魔が差した” is a set phrase for this situation. The devil made him to press the button next to his. I wonder why the devil wanted to make him do so.

(The devil made me post the message without arranging the sentences.)

Now, now. Maybe we can blame the Devil for some things, but not everything…

I would probably just say the phrase without “to”.
The Devil made him press the button.
FYI: Recently I heard someone discuss a comedian called Flip Wilson. This comedian was famous for saying “The Devil made me do it!” and even little kids had T-shirts with the phrase. I’m not sure when this was, but probably it was in the late 1960s.

The Brits say “The devil makes work for idle hands!” Are you saying strings were pulled to make him resign because he pressed a button or two, with or without the devil’s help?

“The Devil made me do it” is my favourite excuse for just about everything, like eating my husband’s chocolate stash. I didn’t know it was first popularised by an American comedian though. My kids have picked it up and it’s one of their standard excuses too.

“I can’t buy your product because the Devil told me not to” is an astonishingly effective line to use to discourage salespeople.

Actually, I saw a similar phrase in “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

While some threads really press my buttons, this sort of thing presses all the right buttons.

The devil made him vote ten times on behalf of the fellow member, and he resigned. How persistent the devil is!

“‘The devil finds work for idle hands to do,’ said Mr. Carey.”—OF HUMAN BONDAGE by W. Somerset Maugham