Favourite phrases

“A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.”(George Orwell)

“The humanist assumption that life, although full of sorrow, is worth living, and that Man is a noble animal.”(George Orwell)

3 Likes

My favourite phrase is:

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

“They call our language the mother tongue because father seldom gets a chance to use it.”

3 Likes

“Time is a scarce resource, and even the wealthiest individual must decide what expensive toy to play with each day.”

“There is no free lunch. Having more of one thing requires giving up something else.”

Quitters never win.
Winners never quit.

“You need to drink a can of concrete and harden the F*** up.” :slight_smile:

“Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.” – Henry Ford

“I think I can, I think I can.” – The Little Engine That Could

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.” – Calvin Coolidge

1 Like

A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
漫步于精神病院就可明白信念并不能证明任何东西。

–Friedrich Nietzsche

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - Carl Sagan

1 Like

山中无老虎,猴子称大王

or the other version by Erasmus of Rotterdam
a little different, but has the same point…

“In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king”
–Erasmus

树倒猢狲散
When a tree falls, the monkeys scatter.

Don’t count your chickens before they hatch
(Farsi) جوجه رو آخر پاییز می شمرن

“Anybody who does creative art is a sacred person. I do not care what he does. Whether he paints academic pictures or he is modern and different from anything else. He cannot do any harm. Whereas a bad politician or a bad doctor or a bad cook can kill you!”

• Man Ray

“The higher the monkey climbs up the tree, the more it shows its bottom”

@aybee77 “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.” – Henry Ford
The slightly similar meaning has phrase “Everything you can imagine is real” by Pablo Picasso.

If there is one thing I have learned in life and in business, it is the importance of credibility. It is difficult to achieve credibility and easy to lose it.

– Steve Kaufmann January 22, 2008

“Happy is the country which has no history.”

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve”-Bilbo Baggins

For the day of the Lord is near against all nations
As you have done so shall it be done unto your own head
Obadiah 1:15

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

“Those who speak three languages are trilingual. Those who speak two languages are bilingual, and those who speak only one are American.”

3 Likes