Should "is adamant that ..." read "is adamant IN that ..."?

“Though Mr. Sanders is adamant that he will take his campaign to the Democratic convention, the election results are prompting him to ‘reassess’ his strategy, his campaign said.”

Should “is adamant that” read “is adamant IN that”?
Am I wrong in saying that without the preposition “in” the sentence sounds strange to me?

(Edited)

Personally I would always say “…is adamant that…” in this context.

I tend to say “adamant about,” i.e. very reluctant to change one’s mind about doing something.

Though Mr. Sanders is adamant about taking his campaign to the Democratic convention, the election results are prompting him to ‘reassess’ his strategy, his campaign said.

(Edited)

2 Likes

“Huck is talking about Jim and how he is very stubborn in that he doesn’t want to compromise. Huck and Jim are talking …”
http://huckleberry.pbworks.com/w/page/19685556/Chapter%2014

Is “adamant” different from “stubborn” in usage?

1. He is so stubborn that he doesn’t want to compromise.
  2. He is (very) stubborn in that he doesn’t want to compromise.
  3. He is stubborn that he doesn’t want to compromise.

Don’t you think that the third sentence is strange?

P.S.
As I see it, Mr. Sanders is a great person. I wonder if the winter of the news article is a little bit critical of his intention.

Oh, I see where your question is coming from now.

No, the expression is not “stubborn in that.”

The phrase beginning with “in that” is explaining in what way he is being stubborn.

Huck is talking about Jim and how he is very stubborn. He is stubborn in that he doesn’t want to compromise. (He is stubborn by which I mean he doesn’t want to compromise.)

And yes, ‘adamant’ and ‘stubborn’ are close cousins, but different in usage.

Mr. Sanders is being stubborn in that he wants to take his campaign all the way to the Democratic convention. (He is being stubborn by which I mean he wants to take his campaign all the way to the Democratic convention.)

(Edited)

1 Like

These are interesting points you raise, Yutaka.

There is one thing I would add to Bruce’s excellent reply: I think it is key to understand that one can simply be stubborn as a characteristic. You could say “John is a stubborn person”. But you couldn’t very well say: “John is an adamant person” - being adamant generally requires some subordinate information. Thus “John is adamant that …x,y,z”, etc.

BTW
Yes, I like Bernie Sanders too - even if I don’t entirely agree with his politics :slight_smile:

“She was angry (that) she had not won the race.”
Does the above sentence have something in common with “be adamant that …”?

1. She was angry (about the fact) that she had not won the race.
  2. She was angry because she had not won the race.

Yes, I completely agree with Prinz.

Stubborn is more like: “Bernie is determined to hold his position on the subject. And in spite of your arguments and reasoning, he refuses to budge. He is a stubborn person.”

Whereas adamant is more like: “Bernie has thoughtfully considered the matter and has made up his mind and will be very reluctant to change it. He is adamant that he will go to the convention.”

I think it’s like the difference between refusing to budge and being reluctant to change.

P.S.
Bernie was in my state recently and did an interview with our local newspaper. He closed the interview by saying, “we have a grotesque level of income and wealth inequality, where the top tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent. And that means that we have got to raise taxes on the top 1 percent who are doing phenomenally well and on large multi-national corporations who, as a result of a number of loopholes, in a given year, may pay zero in federal income taxes while earning billions of dollars a year in profit.”

1 Like

Structurally, I would say yes.

She is angry that this did not happen. She is angry about this.

She is adamant that this will happen. She is adamant about this.

" I’ve told her she should ​stay at ​home and ​rest but she’s adamant that she’s coming."

“She is adamant that she is coming.”
I wonder if the “that” in the above sentence can be omitted.
“She is adamant she is coming.”
I cannot understand the relationship between the phrase “be adamant” and the that-clause that follows.

In English ‘that’ can just about always be left out. And that is certainly the case here.
But it has been my experience that people tend to say “adamant that” or “adamant about.” I tend to say ‘adamant about.’

Any of these are acceptable:

I told her that she should stay home and rest, but she is adamant about coming.
I told her she should stay home and rest, but she is adamant about coming. (my preference)
I told her that she should stay home and rest, but she is adamant that she is coming.
I told her she should stay home and rest, but she is adamant she is coming.

Here, ‘to be adamant’ is used in much the same way as ‘to insist.’
I told her she should stay home and rest, but she insists (that) she is coming.

And ‘to be adamant about’ is used in much the same way as ‘to insist on.’
I told her she should stay home and rest, but she insists on coming. (my preference)

She has made up her mind. She insists on it. She is adamant about it.

These are all very similar in meaning, but vary in tone.

And going back to your first example:

Mr. Sanders has made up his mind about taking his campaign to the Democratic convention, but the primary election results are prompting him to ‘reassess’ his strategy, his campaign said.

Mr. Sanders insists on taking his campaign to the Democratic convention, but the primary election results are prompting him to ‘reassess’ his strategy, his campaign said.

Mr. Sanders is adamant about taking his campaign to the Democratic convention, but the primary election results are prompting him to ‘reassess’ his strategy, his campaign said.

These are close cousins to ‘stubborn,’ but as Prinz has already pointed out, not the same as ‘stubborn.’ Whereas ‘adamant’ is more situational – a reluctance to change after thoughtful consideration – stubborn is more of a characteristic of refusing to budge.

Mr. Sanders is being stubborn. He says he is taking his campaign to the Democratic convention. And the primary election results don’t seem to be affecting his strategy.

1 Like

“But during a rally in Fargo, he was adamant in reminding his supporters that the country needs an engaged political movement – not a ‘savior.’”
Bernie Sanders at North Dakota Rally: I’m Not ‘Some Kind of Savior’

“Trump has never been terribly adamant about denying that he often made calls to reporters posing as someone else. From his earliest years in business, he occasionally called reporters using the name ‘John Barron.’”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/donald-trump-alter-ego-barron/2016/05/12/02ac99ec-16fe-11e6-aa55-670cabef46e0_story.html

to be “adamant in” or “adamant about” expressing something has the same meaning as “adamantly” expressing something

doing something versus expressing something:

To be “adamant about” doing something, or to be “adamant that” one will do something, means to be reluctant to change one’s mind about doing something, i.e. to be insistent upon doing it, whereas, when it is used to modify how something is expressed, e.g. to adamantly remind someone of something; to adamantly deny something, it takes on the meaning of ‘vehement,’ ‘forceful,’ ‘passionate,’ i.e. showing strong feeling. You’re adamantly (passionately) expressing something, as opposed to being adamant (insistent and reluctant to change your mind) about doing something.

But during a rally in Fargo, Sanders was passionate about reminding his supporters that the country needs an engaged political movement – not a ‘savior.’ He passionately reminded his supporters of this.

Trump has never been terribly forceful before about denying that he often made calls to reporters posing as someone else. From his earliest years in business, he occasionally called reporters using the name ‘John Barron.’ Now that he is running for president, Trump is vehemently denying that he ever made calls to reporters posing as someone else.

1 Like

“The GOP elite – which once seemed adamantly opposed to the billionaire’s candidacy – has reluctantly rallied round him since his emergence as the presumptive nominee. Polls currently show Clinton beating him by about five points.”
http://gu.com/p/4jatq?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Am coming to this discussion rather late. Two things occurred to me in relation to “adamant”.

I am quite used to seeing and saying ‘adamant in’, ie “he was adamant in saying that …” or “she was adamant in taking the left fork and not the right as suggested by the receptionist at the hotel”. I am equally comfortable using ‘adamant about’, though.

In the UK adamant can be seen as a sophisticated form of ‘stubborn’,.

2 Likes

i.e. vehemently opposed

No, “adamant that” is not incorrect.
Mr. Sanders is adamant that = Mr. Sanders is determined that 0 Mr. Sanders is stubbornly certain that

“Hillary Clinton is adamant that she’s running for her own first term, not Barack Obama’s third term. But as the Democratic Party nominee, a key part of her message is building on Obama’s vision and the “progress” his administration has promoted.”

“vehemently” and “adamantly” are not synonymous. “vehemently” implies rancor where “adamantly” here just means strongly.