Test Your English Vocabulary

I am always amazed at the vocabulary count displayed on some of the profiles here and of course the absolute numbers very much depend on the way Lingq counts vocabulary.

I tested my English vocabulary online here and the sobering score was 15,400 words, fewer than Steve’s German vocabulary.

I got 25000 words. Honestly, i’ve never heard of most of those on the second page - and you will never need to know them either !

Mine was 18,000.

I feel I can “read” fluently in most cases, but I don’t think I can speak fluently.

I really doubt how meaningful this sampling is. Also don’t know if they count words or word families. My score was 39,500 but I think it is higher based on how many words I know in reading a few pages of Oxford dictionary.

30,900 - interesting if nothing else! Are all those words English…?!!

6 730 words! The words on the first page were easy. Second page I got some and the last page was in Latin - I think.

I doubt this equates to the lingq numbers, or, is even accurate generally. If I was to lingq English, I would assume I’d easily be 50k+.

What’s more important, in my opinion, is your relative level – compared to where you were a year ago, or five years ago, are you improving? Do you continue to steadily challenge yourself?

To improve to a really high level, you have to always challenge yourself, and without a relative yardstick, it can be tough to monitor your real progress.

1 Like

Moin.

“I tested my English vocabulary online here and the sobering score was 15,400 words, fewer than Steve’s German vocabulary.”

I don’t think these numbers should ever be compared. They mean completely different things.

2 Likes

On how they count (from their FAQ page):

We count headword entries in a standard English dictionary. This means the standard word derivations are not counted (for example, “quickly,” derived from “quick,” does not count as a separate word). And while compound words are counted (like “air conditioning”), phrases and expressions are not (like “food for thought”).

Aaahh… Second page wasn’t so bad… I got 27000 words…

9910 words - quite disappointing.