If you cannot use the italic type

I think that foreign words in English sentences are usually written in italics. If you cannot use the “font-style” for some technical reasons, how do you cope with the situation? Do you capitalize all the letters, or enclose them with “_”?
(If you are writing by hand, you might be able to underline the words written in foreign languages.)

One sometimes uses footnotes if deemed necessary, but if it isn’t deemed “nötig”, one can use either double or single quote marks, ie “Anführungszeichen oder halbe Anführungszeichen”. I believe that American usage is that single marks are used within a quotation enclosed in double marks.One could also use “ie” to explain the word in question. What about using captial letters to STRESS the foreign nature of a particular word?

I am not aware of any official ruling about how to substitute italics and would love to hear what others think.

1 Like

I would certainly consider quote marks an acceptable replacement for italics in those cases.

Normally we use quote marks in Russian in such cases as well.

1 Like

You can use italics here on the page of the LingQ forum.

Yutaka, I like this trick very much.

Me too!

Boys! If you cannot use italics, what are the chances that you could use the other highlighting effects??? (Whereas some form of “…” could surely be produced, “n’est-ce pas”?)

I know that when I was in school, I taught to underline. I think my teachers were a bit behind the curve. For some reason the educational establishment did not want to accept the fact that technology had made it feasible for everyone to use itatics and not just the publishing industry.