"My laughter accompanied theirs."

“My laughter accompanied theirs.”

I think that other people, as well as the speaker, were laughing. I wonder who began laughing first.
“Their laughter accompanied mine.” If you write it like this, can the situation be seen differently?

They started laughing first, and I quickly joined in, or we all started laughing simultaneously. The exact timing is not strongly indicated by this phrase. but I did not start laughing first.

1 Like

Thank you for your explanation.

“My laughter accompanied theirs.”

I don’t know if this necessarily means that “my laughter” started at the same time or after theirs , but I can’t imagine anyone saying this if it was not the case. It certainly would sound strange.

1 Like

On the other hand, one could say

“The background singers accompanied the lead singer.”

In this case, the background singers could easy have started singing before the lead singer.

1 Like

“The rainstorm was accompanied by thunder.”
I wonder which started first.
Do you think the writer is implying that they are causally related?

Thanks for the roses Yutaka. Now I have 1000!

Congratulations!

Now I must only write terrible posts so that nobody gives me another rose and destroys the perfect number…

1 Like

Nothing lasts forever.

“1001” is still a special number. After that you will have to waite until your total reaches “1111” or “1234”.
I wonder who is going to destroy this beautiful symmetrical number.

If the number refered to a year, you could say this:
The first year of the eleventh century was 1001, whereas 1000 was simply the last year of the tenth century.