A short video for lovers of art and language

This is a 3.5 minute video (German with English subtitles), featuring Marina and Irina Fabrizio, two sisters who paint together. Amazing colours, amazing paintings and an amazing command of German.

1 Like

Great video, great interview. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Do they speak German with a Russian accent?

They speak German with an accent. But I donā€™t know what their native language is. They were born in Kazakhstan.

1 Like

We can assume it is a near-Russian accent, but they sound lovely. A very soft accent.

I suppose that speaking German with a Russian accent is very lovely.
I donā€™t know if Chulpan Khamatova spoke German with a Russian accent in the German film GOODBY LENIN!.
Good Bye, Lenin! - Wikipedia!
http://en.khamatova.name

I had the same question when I was watching this video.
But how did you train your ears in Japan to recognize Russian accent in German? :wink:

Iā€™m not sure that they have a Russian accent. The language in Kazakhstan is the Kazakh language. This language is not a Slavic language. It belongs to the Turkic languages. You can read about it here: Kazakh language - Wikipedia

Iā€™ve a colleague and her native language is Russian. Her accent differs from the accent of the sisters. The Russian accent sounds ā€œharderā€ to me (emphasizing the consonants too much). I cannot explain it better in English. The accent of the sisters is softer.

I suppose they spoke Russian in Kazakhstan. People уŠ¼ŃƒŃ‚ with asian faces speak Russian there, their president speaks Russian very well.
I was just very surprized hearing their Russian-like accent and intend to ask about a region in Germany where they speak with such accent :wink:
But they have told than about Kazakhstan what made everything clear for me. But I must say their accent is not so rough as some people from ex-USSR may have.

I agree that their accent is particularly lovely and I also think that it has the Russian speech melody. On the other hand, I donā€™t know how purely Kazakh-speaking women sound in German.

My Russian friend Elena assures me that the girls are Russian, even if they lived in Kazakhstan for some time. In any case, it doesnā€™t matter, what matters is that they are inspirational.

I have seen different people from Kazakhstan in Germany. It doesnā€™t matter if thay European or Asian faces had, we spoke Russian, standard Russian. It was impossible to recognize if they from Moscow, St. Petersburg or from Kazakhstan were.

I have being working in Essen in the same room with a man from Frankfurt. Some weeks later a new employee came from Bavaria, his parents had come to Bavaria from Uzbekistan when he was 8. I guess it was a family of German nationality lived in the USSRā€™s republic of Uzbekistan where they spoke Russian. That family still speaks Russian at home.
The man from Frankfurt could hear the Bavarian accent (with the special Bavarian R sound) but me and my Polish collegue could hear the Russian accent in German.

1 Like