ReCeNtLy AcTiVe ThReAdS

How do you describe the above phase?

A mess? (or are you referring to spammers’ preferences?)

1 Like

Threadtitles with alternating uppercase and lowercase letters!

1 Like

The phrase is written in mode of alternating between a capital letter and a small letter. What do you think of this description?

The phrase (or the title) is written in alternating upper- and lowercase letters - a combination of Fasulye’s and your description seems ideal.

1 Like
  1. “Why do they spell the words with an alternating small letter and a capital letter?” This is a corrected sentence by a tutor.
    I wonder whether the “alternating” modifies “capital letter” too? I suppose it does not. I feel that this phrase is illogical.
  1. “Why do they spell the words by alternating a small letter and a capital letter?”
    In this case, the verb “alternate” is used as a transitive verb.
  1. "Why do they spell the words alternating a small letter and a capital letter? "
    This is the original one. I feel that there should be some word between “words” and “alternating”. Is it okay to put a comma between them?

2. "Why do they spell the words, alternating a small letter and a capital letter? "

Reply to 1) In principle, yes, but the usual expression is lowercase rather than small letter. A capital letter can be a written as a small letter, say, a small capital letter ‘A’, but not as a lowercase letter. A lowercase letter cannot be written as a capital letter, but could be written as large lowercase ‘b’, for example. Professional proof-readers, however, may give you a completely different reply.

Reply to 2) Yes, to the verb statement, but the expression of ‘by alternating a small letter and a capital letter’ is still somehow unsound. You could try ‘by alternating a small letter with a capital letter’, though I still prefer ‘lowercase’

Statement: And here was I trying not to over-post!

1. “Why do they spell the words with alternating small and capital letters?”
    In this case, the verb is used as an intransitive verb.
  1. “Why do they spell the words with letters (that are) alternating between small one and capital one?”

If you do that, you question why they are doing “spelling” to the words rather than something else, so it would change the resulting reply (if anyone ever talks to you again, after this lot of confusing questions. :slight_smile: My mind is scrambled.)

Here they only spell words which have a certain combination of letters. Correct?

I would describe the above phrase as a visual representation of the pronunciation of each word. As such, “ReCeNtLy AcTiVe ThReAdS” is written the way it is pronounced, uttered, spoken, sounded out.

1 Like

SHIFT-Taste kaputt?