"not because of but despite . . ."

“The names of Bolshevik figures must be erased from our country’s map. Portraying Stalin as the winner of the war is a flagrant lie. Our people won the war, not because of but despite Stalin’s repressions.”(Leonid Gozman)

I don’t know if what Leonid Gozman says is right, but the analytical logic behind the expression “not because of but despite” might apply in some cases.

I felt the expression interesting.

It’s quite a common phrasing, and it works both ways.

I love her not despite but because of her faults.

They divorced despite the children, not because of them.
He was re-elected because of his corrupt under-dealings, not despite them.

He succeeded in the project, not because of but despite his stubbornness.

Thank you, Roan.

I met with them not despite but because of his advice.

They worked hard despite low salaries, not because of them.

you are correct tora3

despite= if the circumstances are bad/against you

we went to the theater despite the bad weather

also, a similar expression would be

we went to the theater in spite of the bad weather (it means the same thing)

Yuri, he was referring specifically to the expression ‘not because of but despite’, not the meaning of the word ‘despite’, which I imagine tora3 is already familiar with.

I stopped using my iPhone not despite but because of its extreme versatility. I am now using a not-so-smart ordinary cell phone and an iPad. The latter is always connected to the Internet, so I can do almost everything I used to do with my iPhone.

I see you are unearthing some “oldies but goodies”. I take it you like applying these sort of structures because of their versatility, not despite it.

I enjoy using some English expressions, not despite but because of their formality.