Unexpected token at position 2 in JSON

Using Chrome, I am trying to create LingQs in a lesson and it spits out an error dialog on ‘committing’ the lingq:

Unexpected token ‘<’ in JSON at position 2.

It only happens if I encounter a new word, click on the dictionary, then enter custom text. If I choose the suggested translation, LingQ creation works fine.

Hi genix79,
Sorry about that. This issue has been reported and we hope to have it fixed soon. Thanks for your patience!

I have a similar issue, when trying to enter a translation for a phrase (in Japanese). I get the following message:
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 3 column 1 of the JSON data.

SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 2 Please check your Internet connection and visit our Twitter feed for system status updates.

I cannot update LingQs. Good that I cancelled my subscription some days ago. I am so disappointed, as LingQ is so buggy and mostly unusable …

Hello, It is sad that you react very slowly. We are waiting and waiting. It should be fixed immediately.

I first encountered this bug more than a week ago. Now this “bug” is still there and so it is still impossible to edit LingQs. I paid 10 $ but the system does not work as advertised - that’s not acceptable!! Now the weekend begins and the bug may be fixed next week or later …

Therefore I have canceled my membership.

Sometimes I have the strong feeling that Steve - who talks so positively about LingQ - is using a different system than the one I use, which is slow and full of bugs.

I am really disappointed!

The issue has been fixed. Thanks for your patience everyone!

I still encounter this bug.

Close the web page and open again. It works.

Thank you. It is working for me.