Are there trolls/spammers here?

I’ve just finally signed up for an account and i’ve noticed that a lot of correct words on the User Hints have been flagged (usually just by one person) as wrong.

For instance, words which are in the future in French will often have the infinitive definition marked as the correct entry and the actual word; such as for example ‘parlerais’ will have the definition ‘speak’ but the definition ‘will speak’ is flagged as incorrect. This happens with quite a few words.

I’m just wondering if some spiteful person has gone through and carpet flagged every definition but their own or something?

Possibly. Personally, I prefer to see the verb as an infinitive in the definition, but it doesn’t bother me to see some other form. It’s just a memory trigger, and doesn’t need to be an exact science imo.

That’s not what i meant.

The correct definition is being flagged as incorrect. Nothing to do with preferring to put in the infinitive.

Could it be that only one correct entry, ie the inifinitive in your example, is accepted by the set-up? Perhaps the flagging system needs refining to satisfy both perfectionist learners and laissez-faire ones. I find it admirable that someone could be so disciplined as to go through every entry. It must be an enormous help to learning, wish I were that keen.

Edited: I forgot to type the rest of the first sentence. It’s my age.

Understood. I gave the example to let you know that it’s irrelevant to me. It can be irrelevant to you too, if you let it. The trick is to read as seamlessly as possible. If you use this site long enough, you’ll see a lot of incorrect stuff in the definitions. A good strategy is just to move on as quickly as possible.

…it is irrelevant to me in terms of my learning. You seem to have confused me flagging up a potential spammer with how i prefer to learn.

There may be disagreement over whether a Hint needs to be flagged, but there are no spiteful people flagging. I think there has been some change in the flagging process that will make it less likely that an incorrect flag will actually cause a hint to be removed.

Note, by the way that “will speak” is incorrect and misleading as a hint for “parlerais” since this is the conditional tense (I would speak) and not the future tense.

Whoopsie doodle i meant without the s on the end.

When i click on user hints i get the most common one at the top, and then a big list sometimes which could include up to 10 definitions, most of which are right, which say 1 person flagged as incorrect, even though they are more correct than the infinitive definition.

I guess this person has not understood that only hints should be flagged that are wrong and not hints that he doesn’t like.

The LingQ Support team should contact this user. You should write an email to the support and let them know who it is that they can check is and address this issue :slight_smile:

By the way, it is unbelievable how many wrong hints exists and often with the highest number of “used hints”. I guess this is the result of Auto-LingQing where people don’t have a real look on the hint they are using. I’ve checked this for some French-German Hints. The result is really shocking. Good examples are the French word “on” or “ma”. I found LingQs where all correct hints where flagged as wrong and incorrect hints were not flagged.

Unfortunately I’ve no longer access to the hint database to fix things. And I cannot flag that hints are correct that others have flagged as incorrect before.