Lingq with films

Sorry if this post is going to be long, but i want to try to explain in English all my thoughts about this topic.

I always considered to learn a language by watching films (or shortfilms) an excellent way to learn a language, maybe even better than audiopodcasts.

Dont get me wrong, i think listening podcasts on lingq is an excellent way to learn, you can just play a podcast on iphone and listen it on the headphones while doing another things, or if you prefer you can read the text and create lingqs.

But what about the gestures? the way the natives gesticule and moove the mouth? how conversations and human relations are established in your target language, all that is part of the sociocultural aspect that is also very important to a language learner to LOOK with the eyes, and eventually absorb it together with the language.

Also though we have very interesting material and authors at lingq, i think some users also prefer to find interesting material on youtube, (films and serials can be very addictive).

Thats why i love the option to add Youtube videos at Lingq, I used to import videos all the time, but not anymore.

Because before I just had to find a film in youtube and import a new lesson adding the subtitles with the video, then i could be creating lingqs while watching the film.

However now i cant watch films at lingq anymore… Anytime i create a lingq the video closes, i need to moove the text up to the new icon under the title of the lesson, then put the video again, after go down and try to find the place where i was lingquing, its all a very annoying process, an 1 hour film has a lot of text with subtitles, and eventually i end up watching the film without using lingq, and without translating the words that i dont understand.

Please could you give some solution to users to still keep watching films on lingq? I understand that the team doesnt want to put the videos on the right menu like it was before, but at least consider the idea to create some shorcut or something so you could lingq without having to open and close the video anytime. And excellent way would be if once you open a video on Lingq, the interface can find you a way to show you dictiionary and video at same time, so the video doesnt have to be closed.

I think the system is not taking advantadge of the option to import videos. Internet is full of films where you can find easily the text in both languages (subtitles of the film in your L1 and target language). I think Its an area that should be more developed on the interface.

Just and idea, trying to help the system to get better.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi Josu88,

Sorry to hear about the inconvenience. We’ve solved the issue which will be in place for the next release. The controls will be on the left-hand side of the screen and will move in the direction you scroll.

We appreciate your suggestions and hope you enjoy the upcoming improvements!

thanks, waiting to see if that works. Waiting for the new release.

I’m intrigued, I had no idea you could use LingQ with videos. Could you explain the process a little more?

the way i did it, and works better for me.

Find a film or serie in youtube (better if its got subtittles in your own native language)

Then download from internet also the subtitles on the original language (the language you are studying)

Go to import a lesson on lingq:
-import the video writing the link of youtube.

• import the subtitles you downloaded as a text.

I like having on the right side of the screen the video playing with subtitles on my language, because like that i can compare text on lingq in the target language with subtitles in my own language and i even dont have to open the dictionary, its like a bilingual translation, but this is optional.

Ah thank you, that makes perfect sense. Now I just have to figure out how to find subtitles for my movies! :slight_smile:

OK, I tried doing this with a Euronews video: I have the full text, which I copy into a new lesson on LingQ, and then I enter the URL from Euronews for the video under the Video section on LingQ, but when I try to open the video on LingQ, I get an error message (It looks like youtube: “An error has occured. Please try again later.”)

Should videos from euronews work on LingQ?

It seems Euronews don’t allow their videos to be played. Unfortunately this is something we can’t control.

KiranLingQ:

Hi Josu88,

Sorry to hear about the inconvenience. We’ve solved the issue which will be in place for the next release. The controls will be on the left-hand side of the screen and will move in the direction you scroll.

We appreciate your suggestions and hope you enjoy the upcoming improvements!"

Hi,

I guess now the team must be busy with the feedback on the new version. But just wanted to add a little comment.

Unfortunatly Lingq still is not working well with videos like it used to do before the changes from months ago (when the play video was on the left menu).

The issue is not fixed with the new release, the controls for play the video are still on the top of the screen and they dont follow the text when you scroll down.

Maybe is s there some way to make a lingqs, and play the video back withouth having to go all the way up to the text ?

Thank you

@Josu88, which lesson are you studying?

I see the video controls under each video. The video don’t scroll up with the lessons. The video icon that right now is beside the lesson picture, will be moved to the audio controls soon.