Export to Anki

Could someone walk me through the steps to export a Lingq lesson’s vocab to Anki if I wanted to do that? I’ve tried exporting a file to .cvs and then trying to import that from Anki. It creates a file or “deck” with nothing inside it as far as I can tell.

Cheers,

Christian

Just for the fun of it, I’ve tried to export to Anki. Here is the method I used, there certainly are some others and faster methods…

In the broad lines:

1. Inside Lingq.com, I went to “LEARN” > “Vocabulary” > Display the maximum of Lingq (200) > mark the checkbox for selecting all the lingq
    “More actions” > “export” > to a file ie: C:\lingqs.csv

2. Open lingqs.csv with a text editor ie notepad.exe and

2.1) replace all semicolons ; by one comma ,
2.2) (in my case)

• replace the 13 characters: ,“[[”“fr”", “” by one semicolon ;
  • replace 6 characters : “”]]“, by one semicolon ;
    so
    achievement,”[[““fr””, “”n. réussite; performance; exécution“”]]",Other research evaluating students’ achievement has demonstrated that many strategies promoting active learning are …
    become:
    achievement ; n. réussite; performance; exécution ; Other research evaluating students’ achievement has demonstrated that many strategies promoting active learning are …
    save the flie as lingq2.csv.
  1. Open Anki > Create a new “Deck” named ie “Lingq” > open it.
    File >import the fiel lingq2.csv
    Type: Basic Deck: “Lingq”
    Field separated by semicolon > suppress the field N°3 , leave others options by default > Import

That’s it!
Hope it’s help

3 Likes

Wow – looks a bit complicated. I’ll give it a try. Do you have to do the replacement each time or can you do a global search and replace in the text editor? Do you know if it matters if I’m using a Mac OS platform? Cheers. C

:slight_smile: That’s not so complicated as it looks like… Yes of course it’s 3 global replacements.
As you own a Mac, you can have the luxury of using Unix commands !
Mac OSX is Linux based, thus you have to open a Terminal, to go in the directory where the file Lingq.csv reside.
(command: cd , pwd) To ensure with command ls, that you are able to list lingq.csv file (and probably some others files…)
Than type this nice and weird command in, that would make the 3 replacements and create a new and modified file : lingq2.csv

sed ‘s/;/,/g;s/,“[[”“fr”“,”“/;/g;s/”“]]”,/;/g’ ./Lingq.csv > ./Lingq2.csv

I don’t have a Mac but this command is working grat on a Linux box.
(All the command are case-sensitive and you’ll certainly got a “UK” instead of my “FR” in your csv file)

2 Likes

Just curious but why export out of LingQ to Anki?

… because Anki’s SRS is awesome and LingQ’s SRS sucks. Even better: LWТ plus Anki (reason: see above sed commands - not needed with LWТ)

I much prefer flashcards with Anki than with LingQ too. Anki is much better in this respect.

Wait, one can write LWT again? Interesting.

lwt LWT

Wait, no we can’t. How did homofaber do it?

Do you like LingQ?

1 Like

Flashcards suck, IMO, I tested them. At least for me. Maybe if your brain is wired that way… Mine is not. I also think ‘Learning With Texts’ sucks, but again, that’s In My Opinion. This is why I am here, on LingQ. Why are you?

1 Like

I’ve used LingQ a great deal to get my Spanish up to the current level, along with many other methods. I’ve found in my journey that using only one method is insufficient. I don’t like to use flashcards much, but for specific things I want to do that are very focused, they are very effective. The recent research on learning tends to support the combination of space time repetition and challenging your brain with recall as a very efficient way to learn. See, for example, the new book called “Make it Stick” by Peter Brown, or Barbara Oakley’s book on learning math on science for good summaries of the research, research that is generalized across all learners based upon actual experimentation and data collection. Having said all that, I’d rather spend the bulk of my time learning the language in more natural settings, but I do think there is a place, at least in my practice, for very focused sessions on vocab and phrases.

1 Like

. . . . and I agree with the comments above that the LingQ SRS is not as effective in some situations for what I’m trying to do here – which is a learn a specific set of vocab in preparation for a real-world conversation on a particular subject – as is ANKI.

1 Like

What’s a real word conversation?

A conversation that I have in Spanish (or whatever the target language is) with a native Spanish speaker over a particular topic in which I’m interested, that want to share and get feedback regarding, and therefore want to output a certain set of phrases and vocabulary. I believe that this type of input ==> output cycle is very effective in advancing my language skills.

Since you know it’s better than LingQ… Just curious, how many languages have you learned, with your “awesome” combination of tools? Or is it just in theory…

Is that book “Make it Stick” by Peter Brown about language learning or learning in general?

I did, and I liked it a lot. Now, after so many changes to the worse, with so many bugs that are still around after several years (!), my loving affair to LingQ has become “difficult”. I looked for alternatives, and I must admit that the alternatives are better and more bugfree in many respects. It’s just my personal opinion. In LW*, e.g., the learning of words in context with MCD (Massive-Context Cloze Deletion) testing, is very well done. Import, export, you have much more control, you can learn nearly every language, not only the ones Steve supports, that’s something I miss here badly. So, in the moment and for me, the library and the forum are the best parts of LingQ.

“how many languages have you learned?” – 5 (English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Russian), and I don’t plan to learn more as I am busy enough to maintain these five.

The letter Т is the kyrillic Т. But I better try to avoid this infamous 3-letter-abbreviation here.