Can't import Greek vocabulary with import feature

I tried doing this a couple of years ago and couldn’t make it work. I’ve just spent another 5 hours trying to import Greek vocab lists into my Esperanto slot and still can’t make it work. I’m on Windows 7 and have tried every help on all the posts I could find: using Notepad, using Excel, renaming it, filling in all 3 spaces with text, commas, quotations, quotations with commas, UTF-8 encoding, etc.

Very frustrated b/c I’m a software engineering student and should be able to do this! Any ideas that I didn’t mention? It seems like many people can’t make it work. I learned Greek in seminary and really want to continue by importing word lists from Perseus, but nothing seems to work. Thanks for any help.

I imported some Modern Greek lessons a couple of years ago without any trouble. I think I cut and pasted them from a word document. I wonder if your vocabulary trouble is because you have tried to import Greek and English at the same time? I would import only the Greek, then put the meaning of the words into the hints as you make LingQs of all the words.

Why not import sentences or phrases? It is probably easier to learn the words this way. You can put anything you like into the hints of the individual words.

I never tried importing Greek vocabulary into the Esperanto slot, but do let me know if you get it to work. Given the nature of the system, the more words you upload, the more useful the system becomes for all of us Greek learners: one of the reasons I stopped using lingq for ancient Greek was because of the lack of a dictionary to look up words.

But if someone were to upload a whole bunch of vocabulary, it would become more useful. I could probably try to upload the vocab list I created using an alternative software, but I’d need to be convinced that LingQ is really useful for this kind of a thing. :wink:

@HanSolo787

Note that:
(1) LingQ tends to choke on a long list, usually without any notification.
(2) Sometimes LingQ chokes but still uploads some of the list, again without any notification.
(3) LingQ’s database does not recognize smart quotes.

Using this: “ανααλλεται”,“he leaps up”,“δε ανααλλεται καχαζων, δε ειπε, Ξενε, συγχαρηθι.”
(1) I WAS able to import the line into Esperanto via ‘Import by pasting a list of terms.’
(2) I was NOT able to import the line using ‘Import a csv file.’
Try doing the same using this sample (or your own sample) with the ‘Import by pasting a list of terms’ feature. If it works, use this method for a longer list and see what happens.

@gregf “Given the nature of the system, the more words you upload, the more useful the system becomes for all of us Greek learners”

Because the vocabulary for private lessons does NOT go into the general vocabulary pool for a language, adding more words will not help anyone else. Greg, I can’t give you a reference for this. I read it somewhere in the forum some time ago, but no way am I trying to find a reference in that mess.

Thanks for the suggestions. donhamiltontx, when I’ve tried using the import list of words like you suggested, all I end up with is the word, definition, phrase all smashed into the word section of the vocabulary, it doesn’t split up the word from the definition. It seems to only be able to take the words and leave filling in the rest by hand for later. You’re didn’t do that?

Sorry for jumping into this, but @donhamiltontx’s “…Because the vocabulary for private …” paragraph reminded me of this thread

where exactly the opposite seems to have been stated. (Somebody wanted to keep/make private hints.) So, who is right? This may have to go to support @ lingq .com

@don

Hmm. You might be right. But we should be able to test it out ourselves: I’ve probably made a good 2,000 or so lingq’s for ancient greek, perhaps someone could try importing a new Greek text and seeing whether lingq suggestions appear for Greek words (try something common, like ἡμεῖς, for example.)

(ps., I owe you an email, Don.)

At HanSolo787 " It seems to only be able to take the words and leave filling in the rest by hand for later. You’re didn’t do that?"

No. LingQ accepted all three terms, so I did not have to add anything. Let me say that I was using a Mac when I uploaded the word, its definition and its context. However, I don´t think the OS makes any difference. On the other hand, the word processing software might make a difference. When I interacted with LingQ via Windows 7, I learned to use Notepad++ (free software), not Notepad, for uploading. In similar circumstances, I use TextMate with my Mac and gEdit with Linux.

@gregf

Uploading to Esperanto a lesson consisting of a list of the 500 most frequent words used in Ancient Greek*, I found that LingQ offered hints for some of them. One word with a definition, for example, is

σή, defined as “yours (acc, fem)”.

ἡμεῖς does not have a definition, but the floating and variable nature of Ancient Greek accents and the limited number of lessons uploaded into Esperanto (though I think there are more lessons than just yours) may be the reasons more definitions did not display. Likewise, there may be some unknown reason why definitions for some words did appear.

The list itself is here:
http://dcc.dickinson.edu/vocab/greek-alphabetical

@SanneT

You raise an excellent point. However, the tenor of the thread you cited seems to suggest that Notes from all lessons are public but only definitions from shared lessons are public. As far as I am concerned, though, studying Ancient Greek as a beta language at LingQ is not an optimal experience, so I have made other arrangements. Consequently, whether vocabulary from private lessons is public is a moot point for me, and I will not be pursuing the suggestion you make.

@don

Great, so it looks like we have confirmation that we can share Greek word definitions in the Esperanto slot, even through private lessons? That’s good news.

As for the DCC list, I downloaded it into Anki last year before going to Rome and continue reviewing it when the words come up. Very useful. Just yesterday I looked to see if someone had made a similar deck for the Latin DCC list, but no luck.

@gregf “Great, so it looks like we have confirmation that we can share Greek word definitions in the Esperanto slot, even through private lessons?”

My ‘test’ does not entirely convince me. Some definitions might have been mine left over from the last time I used Esperanto for Greek. That was maybe three years ago, so who knows?

@gregf I have a bit more to say about DCC and Latin, but I don’t want to hijack HanSolo787s thread, so I will start a new thread.