Grammar understanding

Grammar understanding…

Understanding a bit of subtle grammar??

This did not go well on submission, so sorry about that but here is what was originally there… In this sentence “Tut die Biene das nicht, können keine neuen Pflanzen wachsen” As an English speaker, it seems that this is really an “if … then” statement but here we see that this construction is not used but seems to say the same thing as if I had used the "if… then " construction. What am I missing here? For example I would have said something like… “Wenn die Biene das nicht tut, dann wachsen keine neuen Pflanzen .”

Yes, in German it’s possible to replace “wenn” by inverting the subject and object. This construction also exists in English!
Consider:
I the man had come = Had the man come…

Mehr Beispiele auf Deutsch:

Of course, a variation on the English pattern is:
If the man came = should the man come (again, subject-object inversion marks a clause as a conditional construction)

I haven’t looked at the link below, I’d just like to give you the version I would use to express the idea: Instead of the more colloquial “Tut die Biene das nicht, …” würde ich “Täte die Biene das nicht, könnten keine neuen Pflanzen wachsen” oder auch “würde die Biene das nicht tun, könnten …” verwenden. Alte Schule!

1 Like

Tut mir Leid aber ich habe die Antworten nicht bekommen. Das System muss wieder kaputtgegangen sein. Ich musste sie nachschlagen. Vielen Dank für ihre Hilfe.