When you plug the sentence into translate has the world

when you plug the sentence into translate has the world “already,” but no dictionary has “already” as a definition for soweit. Should this conversation have used a more common word for already instead of soweit?

‘Soweit’ is not ‘already’ but ‘so far as’, and sometimes ‘ready’
If I ask at Skype my friend from Austria: 'Bist du schon bereit zu sprechen? - he responds: ‘Ja, ich bin soweit.’
And in the sentence from your text: ‘Wenn Sie soweit sind, sollten Sie schreiben’= ‘If you are ready to it, you should write’.
Or in the sentence: ‘Soweit mir bekannt ist…’ = ‘So far as I know.’

thanks, I meant to write the word “ready” not “already” but you answered my question. thanks

“Soweit” means “ready” and I can’t find a better one for that sentence. You could only use more words to express the same, for example “Sobald deine Fähigkeiten gut genug sind, solltest du schreiben”. But as you can see, it’s much more detailed and not necessarily the same meaning in every case for “soweit sein” with the meaning of “to be ready” can relate to many circumstances. For example:
“Bist du soweit? Ja, ich bin soweit, habe meine Arbeit beendet. Wir können jetzt losgehen.”
Oder:
“Ich bin noch nicht soweit, habe meine Arbeit leider noch nicht beendet.”
Oder:
“Das Baby kann noch nicht sitzen, es ist noch nicht soweit”. (it isn’t able yet, that’s a similar meaning to your sentence: “As soon as you are able to, you should write”.