"Aber wenn du dir deine Zeit gut einteilst, kann beides

“Aber wenn du dir deine Zeit gut einteilst, kann beides nützlich und interessant sein”

Why is the “dir” necessary in the sentence?

It’s not really necessary but it adds emphasis to the idea that you perform the action for your own interest. As a matter of fact this construction used to be called “dative of interest” in the Latin grammar. Besides German and Latin, similar structures are usual in other languages (Spanish, Italian, …).

Thanks. A bit of a hard concept to wrap my head around as a native English speaker. Even though there is so much information on the internet, sometimes things come up I can’t find on my own and a teacher would be handy to have around.

Don’t let the fancy words confuse you. You don’t even have to use this yourself, just remember that sometimes Germans add an “unnecessary” but colorful reminder of who’s affected by the verb.

Du kannst nicht nur deutsch sprechen, sondern auch gut erklären. Von dative of interest hatte ich bisher noch nie gehört. Super! So lernt man was über die eigene Sprache :slight_smile:

Danke für das Kompliment!
Ich bin froh, dass ich helfen konnte. Wie gesagt, dieses Konzept (eigentlich “Ethischer Dativ” as erklärt unten) stammt von der lateinischen Grammatik, nicht von der deutschen, aber ich glaube, die Struktur ist ähnlich in beiden Sprachen.
Auf jeden Fall, es ist ja richtig, dass man immer mehr lernen kann. Sogar über die eigene Muttersprache :slight_smile:

Oops! I just double checked and this particular case wouldn’t fall so much under the concept of “dative of interest” (which is more general than I remembered) but the proper name of it would be “ethical dative”.
The explanation’s the same, however, I just misremembered the name. Here you have an explanation and some examples in English, where you can also find some occurrences of this structure:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ethical_dative

Remember that the verb in this case is “sich etwas einteilen” and the “sich” needs to be conjugated to match the verb, just like any other reflexive verb: sich die Haare waschen, sich die Zähne putzen, etc, etc.