What does the word "Alsda" mean?

This word is from the sentence " Alsda wird sich der Untergehende selber segnen " in the last paragraph but one.

There is a similar word, “alsdann”, meaning “danach, dann, endlich…” So it could just be a variant of “da”, I.e. It has a temporal meaning. Searching for “alsda + Zarathustra” just finds this sentence. Maybe it’s the only time it’s used in the book.

Thank you.Alleray. My German learning is at very slow pace but recently I found myself accustomed to the language. The biggest motivation is longing for culture and history the target language has, I think. I’ll continue learning with it. Thanks for your instruction !

Please be aware that this is a quite outdated and uncommon word. I were not able to find it in a dictionaries that I know, and web search only give me Zarathustra as a source. If you are interested in classical literature, history etc. then it is fine. But if you want to speak German and learn about the German speaking countries of our days, you should consider to read newer books or use other modern sources.

Thank you so much, VeraI . I will do work in parallel with classic works and speaking in German learning !!
Thank you !

In the dim and distant past we used to use “alsda” as “und dann” or “und nun” when we were joking about: Ich bin pressiert, alsda werde ich eine Depesche senden und meine Kutsche bestellen [Ich habe es eilig und gebe jetzt ein Telegramm auf und rufe mir ein Taxi.] I know, I know: we were pathetic.

Hi,SanneT. Thank you for telling me that. Interesting.
Like to know such kind of expression more. It is wonderful to get to know when,what expression is used in some particular occasion. Thank you ! To be able to read German books is one of my goals about language learning. Thanks for helping me to reach the goal !!