… con copas en las manos, vi irrumpir instantes después

… con copas en las manos, vi irrumpir instantes después a Marirosa con las … - What is meant by “vi irrumpir instantes”??

Would the end of the sentence give you the sense of what “I saw happening to Marirosa moments afterwards”?

Wordreference is your friend.

By the time I ask you folks for translations, I have exhausted all of the dictionaries. Couldn’t find that phrase is any of them.

Thanks. That is helpful. Now I see that the phrase means “I Marirosa saw bursting forth moments after with the Chileans”. The whole context is - “vi irrumpir instantes después a Marirosa con las chilenitas”

Well sorry and I don’t mean to be rude but you mustn’t have looked for this one very thoroughly. Irrumpir is a quite common word and is found in any dictionary. It’s not a Peruvian colloquialism.

Clearly, but (and I don’t mean to be rude either) you seem to be missing the point of my difficulty. It is often the phraseology that is difficult to understand. In this instance Sanne was more helpful to me by making sense out of the collection of words that by themselves are easily translatable, but together form a phrase that doesn’t mean the same thing in English. I hope that explanation gives you a better idea of the issue.

2 Likes

Irrumpir comes from Latin and it’s exactly in meaning and structure, equivalent to “break in”
i = in + rumpere = romper = break
I do understand your doubt because it may seem that “instantes” is related to “irrumpir”, as if it were an object to the verb. Again, here the difficulty arises because of the relatively free order of words in Spanish. In this case the time phrase “instantes después” comes between the “ver” verb and the complement.

Yes, I have to get used to that loose order. TX