… humano, así como tampoco dejé de sobresalir en el

… humano, así como tampoco dejé de sobresalir en el merodeo de la fruta… What does this phrase mean in English?

Seems enigmatic … You should give a larger piece of the text!

sobresalir = jut out, stick out
but also often used to mean “excel in something”, in this use it’s synonimous with “destacar”

More context would help but I’d say it means
“Besides, I did not fail to excel in …”

Así como = besides, moreover
no dejar de hacer algo = not to fail to do something

Oh, I forgot the “merodeo de la fruta” part. This is not a very common use. “Merodear” usually means “wander about”, “prowl”, “lurk”.
A less common meaning is " Vagar por el campo viviendo de lo que se coge o roba.", as here.

So, the whole sentence could be translated as:
Así como tampoco dejé de sobresalir en el merodeo de la fruta

Moreover, I did not fail to excel in scrumping (scrump - Wiktionary)

Many thanks. This is a book about the battle of Trafalgar and is quite interesting, but, for me, it is a complex piece of writing.

Yes, Pérez Galdós was a great writer. You’ll learn a lot but prepare to get confused from time to time. Don’t hesitate to ask whenever that happens.
I was born and raised not far from the area so there are quite a few things in the narrative that I can relate to.

Beautiful beach as well: https://www.google.es/search?q=faro+de+Trafalgar&rlz=1C1SVEC_enES665ES665&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmpfOEr7TMAhXDVRQKHVliBqkQsAQIHA&biw=1366&bih=667#tbm=isch&q=playa+de+trafalgar