In the following phrase: "...indudablemente el universo marcha como debiera,"

In the following phrase: “…indudablemente el universo marcha como debiera,” the word debiera is subjunctive imperfect it seems. Is this because this phrase is abstract in nature, or is there another/ better reason for why subjunctive is used here?

I know that one uses the imperfect subjunctive of querer when one want sto be polite in expressing a wish or a desire “quisiera comer ahora”. This kind of thinking.presumption seems to be behind your phrase: … the universe works as it ought to. how it ought to.

Let’s wait for a native to clarify if necessary.

Hi myrarj, even being a native spanish speaker it is difficult for me to give you a reason for this use of the subjunctive. I have to tell you that I’m not a teacher in spanish language as you can imagine.
You can find some similar phrases as: …las cosas no van como yo quisiera…with same use of subjuntive.
If you can’t find any reason I would recommend you not to use much time in that and use the expression in differents contexts.

I know my answer is not much useful, hoping your spanish will be improved enjoy it!!!

Yeah, that’s pretty much the reason. However, it’s more so because it’s not set in stone. The universe is unfolding/continuing/marching on as it SHOULD. Deber needs to be used in order to say “should,” but the subjunctive tense is use because the idea that the universe is unfolding in a certain way isn’t a certainty, it’s a possibility, an opinion, and it might not happen.

Similar to the example used by the native speaker in this comment: “las cosas no van como yo quisiera.” “Things are not going as I would like them.”