Let us put Motivation aside and get honest, how many languages have you learnt through lingq?

Hello everybody

I decided to see the results that we have been working on them maybe for many years.

What are the languages that you learnt through Lingq, meaning that you are really comfortable in the language?

I start with myself, I have learnt English to a really great level where I have translated 5 books after only 2 years of study, and I am working on my German now.

To a level where I can converse with ease, 3. However, that depends if you’re talking solely about LingQ, which I have only learned one language only using this resource, Portuguese, however using at as my main resource I’ve learned French, Spanish, and Portuguese to a comfortable level.

Wow love your practice my friend.
May I know how many years took you that to make it happen?

Tq

I learned French and Spanish at the same time, and they both were my first foreign languages, so it naturally took me longer than if I only studied one. But it took me 2 years to ge to a solid level to where I felt comfortable. Portuguese I learned 2 years after I already was good at Spanish and French. I could already understand it so I spent 2 months using LingQ and talking to people and was able to get fluent in it as well

Not sure why being honest means putting motivation aside.

Honestly I have not learned any new languages at LingQ, but LingQ has helped me make tremendous progress at languages I had given up on or was tired of (Japanese and French). It has also made me much more confident at learning anything in general while having a full-time job and family duties.

4 Likes

In about a year I have learned Spanish to a fairly comfortable level. I can definitely have conversations on a wide variety of topics, but I wouldn’t necessarily call myself “fluent” or “bilingual.”

I agree with dooo. What does this have to do with “putting motivation aside”? Why the need to tell people to “get honest” - have we deceived you often?

LingQ has been part of my studies of three languages. It’s a very effective tool and interface, you could even call it the most effective tool for language learning. But it’s a tool that’s powered by motivation. You can’t set that aside.

A lot of the usefulness of LingQ depends on the content that you yourself bring to it. You’re learning with the content but through LingQ. In and of itself LlingQ (in my opinion) is not a language learning method, but more of a language learning methodology that comes with its own interface. Meaning, it’s not here to teach you a language, it’s here to help you learn a language. (Again, this is just my take.)

Now, if you’re asking whether it’s possible to learn only using LingQ, and only using the content that’s already available here, without importing anything on your own, I think that’s totally possible as well. There is plenty of good material here to work with. But really, whether it’s the content or the interface, no one learns a language using just one single source.

I’m a heavy LingQ-er but I use it mainly as an interface for imported texts. So, in that case, I’m I learning because I’m on LingQ, or am I on LingQ because I’m learning?

5 Likes

Your languages profile is Impressive friend t_harangi

May I know after how many months of practice you made to the 23000 German words? and French?

Nope, you have not deceived me nor you would do. I trust you 100% Wulfgar, I just meant that some people may say yeah we have learnt this and that while it is just they are motivated because of the comfortable system to feel that they can make it through.

I am sorry for any understanding, but may I know how many months or years it took you to reach the 26000, it is quiet interesting number.

Why you would not call yourself, I think you are definitely a bilingual but you are just humble, and do not want to say that.
Are you able to read and listen to anything that come across? Not talking about philosophy stuff of course.

I have asked so much I am very sorry, and I am very happy that you were not bored of them.

May I know if it is possible to listen to such videos after 8 months or so of practicing 4 hours a day?

I was told by a native speaker that it takes around 2 years, and I want to know your opinion. Not necessarily understanding every word but understanding the general idea and overall.

It’s funny you linked that video, because I’ve watched some of those videos maybe 2-3 years ago when I studied German for a couple months, and didn’t find them super hard, however the concepts they talked about requires you to know some things about current events/economics in your native language.

Personally, being a native English speaker, German wasn’t too hard of a language in my opinion as long as you don’t focus on the grammar (unless you already know how the case system works).

I only stopped studying it because I stopped coming into contact with Germans in my daily life.

But, to answer your question, yes, yes you could be able to understand these videos in 8 months with 4 hours. Just be sure to make these sort of videos/podcasts/news conversations your main focus once you get to the point after a few months of studying.

For sure you should be able to understand the overall idea of the videos.

Good luck!

You are awesome man. You fueled my motivation even more. It would be fantastic if I can understand what they are talking about, then it means I can roam around the Youtube and listen to almost anything.

Thank you very much my friend for your enormous help.

I see. You ask: if motivation is equal, is LingQ as good as the classroom, other websites, or pedagogic texts for example. I would say that it is unrealistic to separate motivation from the learning situation.

I can understand the majority of what I read and about half or more of most podcasts I listen to. And thank you for your kind words.

I’ve learned Spanish mostly through LingQ. I used a lot of other resources as well, including language exchanges and being in Spanish speaking countries, but I would not have achieved it without LingQ as my main language tool. Currently on the same kind of journey but with French. I can’t imagine learning a language without LingQ.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, I’ve been doing German for about 3 years, along with French which I started about a year before that, and mixed in with Korean which I started about 2 years ago.

Are you able now to read and listen to anything? Including maybe the philosophical stuff.?

Thank you

I’m able to read and listen to most things that interest me, which is mostly popular fiction and podcasts. I think if your interest is mostly philosophical discussions, then you’ll naturally gravitate towards that material and you’ll be building that kind of vocabulary.

2 Likes