Best Kanji Learning Resource

Hello,

I’m looking for input on the best Kanji resources. Books etc. Steve mentioned that I should learn Kanji in a previous post I made and when I’m finished learning Hiragana/Katakana, I’d like to start down that path. Any books, videos etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Hey, check out the “Remembering the Kanji” series by Heisig if you want the complete course. I use them in conjunction with “kanji koohii”, a free website where you can use SRS, etc. “kanji koohii” also has a forum where I think you could find more advice.

This is the book you want Amazon.com
Better than Remember the kanji in my opinion.

It depends on what your goals are and how you plan on learning the entire language. I would advise someone who studies 5 hours a week and prefers to do mostly reading and listening differently than someone who studies 5 hours per day and uses all skills, for example.

Thanks you all for the pointers!

Also wanted to add: DON’T worry about memorizing all the readings of a kanji as you learn them. Memorizing each charter with it’s many different pronunciations by brute force is crazy difficult. In the early goings just focus on the putting the general meaning to a picture in your head with maybe one of the most used pronunciations. Using that method with lingq reading and you can learn all the many different readings as you encounter the new words. Learning a character with 4, 5, or 6 arbitrary pronunciations is crazy right off the bat.

1 Like