Hebrew on here is driving me crazy

Hebrew is officially driving me crazy on LingQ. I have tried repeatedly to add lingQs to my lessons, and it refuses to allow me add a lingq. Instead it only gives me the first letter, and whatever I have lingQ’d to that letter previously. It is driving me crazy. I would love to increase my use of LingQ especially with Hebrew, but the way it is at the moment, Hebrew is nearly useless on here. Any help would be appreciated.

-Cody C.

I have replied to your email. Everything seems fine for me. Please send details by email on how you are recreating the issues.

The same thing is happening to me in classic view when I try to lingq text with vowels. Such words are still returning to blue every time the page is reloaded, but do seem to save any definitions, after one clicks on the definition again. But it’s not always the correct added definition?!?

The vowels are the problem, it is the same in arabic. I put the text vowel-less in Lingq (searh-and-replace in Word) and add the words with the vowels after the translation. Unfortunately that only works when studying in one direction, but it is better than nothing. Atleast for me.

I don’t really know anything about Hebrew or Arabic. Am I understanding correctly that it can be written with our without vowels and that by default it is written without? And, that when you are studying texts with vowels in them, that is when this issue happens?

I’m afraid neither language being supported means we are not going to be able to spend time on this but if a possible workaround might be studying the vowel less text for now and adding the vowels in the hint or notes field, that may keep you guys going.

Yes. Both Hebrew and Arabic caan be written with vowels, and in reality it is only texts for beginners or religious texts that uses vowels throughout. But since some words can be hard to tell apart without vowels in some situations there are occational vowels or other diacritic signs even in other texts.

Thank you very much Mark. I am guessing for some weird reason, the website is recognizing the vowels (Nikkudot) or diacritics as punctuation. I will look for it on the web, to see if I can find a version of the Hebrew Bible without Vowels. My guess is then, we will have more issues arising with Biblical translations mixed with Modern Hebrew translations. But this shouldn’t be much of an issue. The biggest difference between Modern and Biblical Hebrew, is simply Word order. Slight differences in word meanings, yes, but not always. Thanks, I will try to see if I can do find a version of the Tanakh without vowels.

Much appreciated. :smiley:
-Cody

I do not know Hebrew, but Arabic, I remove the accents with a simple webtool:

Hebrew just plain doesn’t work for me. I can’t write my own lingq, I can’t look up a word without freezing, everytime I move from a blue word it automatically turns it yellow and always with a wrong definition and the definitions get mixed up always…it’s simply useless. I’ve tried different browsers but lingq only works on internet explorer.

2 Likes

You should be able to change the settings (the gear symbol) from automatic to manual, so that the word doesn’t automatically turn yellow. But that doesn"t always stop it from freezing. Usually, I can make my own hints, but they don,t always seem to turn up the next time. That the sentences are backwards in the new reader is itself rather depressing.

Yes, that they don’t always turn up the next time is probably related to the fact whether the word contains diacritics or not. (At least, in Arabic it is). If the word contains diacritics, you can make a lingQ, but the lingQ disappears once you reload your page. You can only make LingQs of words without diacritics.

Diacritics seem to be the main issue, although occationally there seems to be a lag in the saving and the meaning is attached to the next word?!?.
Hebrew has one other issue I haven’t noticed in my limited exposure to Arabic: There’s a love of contractions and of course lingq sees the two halves as separate words. So usually the first half gets saddled with the full meaning and then one has to highlight and input the meaning again for the full contraction. But sometimes that first half is also a word by itself with a different meaning.

I feel like arabic flat out doesn’t work with the new setup. I poked in there and it looked all the sentences were arranged backwards.

1 Like