Join me in Montreal July 23-24 for Polyglot Gathering. One free pass

I will attend the North American Polyglot Symposium July 23 - 24 where I will make a presentation about the importance of input based language learning. http://www.napolyglot.com/

I will be in Montreal from the evening of July 21 and return on July 25.

I will have a table at the Symposium to demonstrate LingQ, especially the new Beta version. If anyone is willing to help me with this, I can offer a free pass to the Symposium. Please let me know.

Hope to meet some of you in Montreal.

Steve goes back to his home city! :slight_smile:

(Not in Winter…fortunately!!)

Hi, Steve. I’m working on an SRS methodology that is invented to crush the psychological hindrances that make SRS seem hard for some people. I want you to look at it because I think the principles will appeal to you and are something you can understand. Try it if you like it and give me your opinion.

https://redd.it/4sh7t2

That is exactly how I use flash cards. Using the settings on our flash cards at LingQ I put all the information on the front of the card. I don’t try to remember anything. It is just exposure, and I flip through the cards as fast as I can. i also save a lot of phrases, some short and some long. I also use these phrases in our dictation function which has other benefits.
So, yes, I agree with you. Even at that I can only spend so much time on flash cards. I simply have too many saved words. If I read enough I eventually learn them, and learn a lot of other things besides, the things I am reading about.
I don’t really believe that a strict SRS regime is any more effective than the random repetition I get from doing a lot of reading and listening and LingQing, and occasionally flash carding.

1 Like

Thank you for responding. I don’t intend for it to be a strict flashcard usage at all, it’s up to you how you use it. But, is our approach on using cards the same? I’m using Anki just so you know. Do you click got it immediately only when you remember the entire meaning of the sentence? If you don’t remember do you read though what the entire sentence means? this means figuring out the whole meaning. If not, you’re doing something different. In my method I put everything I need to figure out the sentence on the front, that should be much different from Lingq flashcards. You are thinking of exposure but I’m thinking of familiarity, which does happen quite fast, you end up “knowing” sentences fast with this method. So it ends up feeling more appropriate on Anki’s system.

This method, if you are using it properly you will never find flashcards boring. From my trials of this method doing flashcards ends up feeling as easy as reading. If you did not feel like that, I don’t think you are doing it the same way.
Its okay if you think reading is more efficient, if in Lingq I totally agree. This is a method to fix the wrong way people think when using flashcards, that is what makes them unsuccessful while others can do them. It looks like a method on the outside, but one the inside, the format matters, it affects the way you think thats why its different.

I don’t use Anki. I only use LingQ flashcards. Everything I review has come from my listening and reading, and usually I review them after finishing a lesson, so the phrases I have saved are fresh in my mind. I don’t try to figure anything out. The English translation is right there for me along with the word or phrase and the captured phrase. I might review the captured phrase.
At any rate, if you enjoy what you are doing go for it.

Okay. If you ever consider trying, I feel this methodology will feel different than the way SRS flashcards are being used currently. It will feel easy and effortless. I am interested in having more people try. Maybe I will post one here.