French Week 25 - From Reading to Listening

New blog entry here: https://haisell.net/2016/06/26/french-week-25-from-reading-to-listening/

Writing with a heavy heart today after the sad turn of events in the UK at the end of this week. I didn’t know when I started my French Adventure that I would reach the 1/4 milestone on such a dark week in my country’s history. But perhaps I now have even more reasons to learn French!

I decided back in January that I would spend the first 25 weeks focusing on learning to read fluently in French. I feel I have made great progress in that time, reading half a million words and learning 18219 French words. My aim for the next 25 weeks is to shift my focus from reading to listening, hopefully getting my listening up to 14 hours a week by the end of the year. I am also going to start writing. Not much, possibly not as much as the weekly targets set by LingQ, but I want to get into the habit of writing something every day. Even if that is one word! In weeks 51-75 I plan to really focus on writing, but for now it is just about getting the habit going.

This is based on my experience of learning Spanish. There seems to be a natural order of progression that suits my learning style: moving from reading, through listening, then writing and finally speaking. So let Part II of my French Adventure begin!

4 Likes

Félicitations pour le grand progrès et bon courage pour la suite.
Merci d’avoir partagé ta méthode d’apprentissage.