Japanese listening content difficulty

How do you find this, let’s say, first 10 minutes of audio, in terms of difficulty? Considering speed, words and grammar, audio quality.
I ask for the first 10 minutes because it varies in difficulty so with shorter segments of audio you could be mislead about it being too easy or too difficult.

I know it’s not easy to classify things in terms of difficulty, but could you use the jlpt as a term of paragon? For exampe, it this easy for a person with N3?

1 Like

The poor sound quality makes it worse. The speed is a little fast. I would rated a seven or eight for difficulty. It would be great to have this material with transcript in our library here at LingQ.

1 Like

Thank you Steve for your answer!

About the transcript, that youtube channel (白犀(びゃくさい)チャンネル - YouTube) is full of hundreds of hours of audio, so I think it would be great to have them on LingQ. The good thing is that the stories themselves are of public domain, so you can easily find the transcript searching the titles on Google, like “田所くん + 怖い話” or “田所くん + 怪談”. (Titles are in the video description, usually each video has three or more stories)

Sometimes though it’s not enough to search the title (some of them are very generic) so one needs to listen to a little section of audio and transcribe it by ears, and search it on google.

Another channel I suggest is this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC12w8PQYB9_lxYuCRswmTWA

many of those stories are of public domain (Kafka, Dikens, the little prince and so on) so it’s easy to find the written counterpart on google.

This is another channel with audiobooks and similar:

unfortunately there seem to be no transcript for those, so it’s oriented towards more advanced students.

2 Likes

This is great stuff. Thank you for sharing.
I passed the N1 this year and was able to follow along easily enough (though the listening portion for the JLPT is much slower and simpler than this).
In terms of vocabulary used it goes beyond N3. If you only knew the vocab required for N3 I don’t think you would be able to understand much.
Then again, I don’t think someone’s JLPT level is a very accurate indicator of overall fluency.

Looks like the text here matches the video
http://ahouroushi.kimodameshi.com/2ch69.html
I might try uploading it as a lesson later when I have time.

thank you for your answer!

About reaching N1 level in listening comprehension, do you have ny suggestion on what material to use and how to use it? Thank you in advance!

About the transcripts, check my previous answer to Steve.

In terms of studying for the test, I didn’t practice the listening much aside from a few mock exams. I focused more on the grammar and reading (I used the kanzen master and sou-matome series+anki for review). The listening is the simplest part of the test in my opinion.
In my normal study, for listening I like to watch youtube, tv shows and dramas mostly. I also live in Japan so much of my practice comes from talking to people.
It’s difficult for me to find quality audio material, so thank you so much again for sharing those links. I’m sure they would be great practice for the test.

1 Like