Popularity of browser vs mobile app

I was thinking the other day, most of my LingQ study is done either on-the-go, or during my lunch break, and in both situations I use the iOS app. I get a lot of enjoyment out of this, and have been at my most productive when taking advantage of “dead time” in this way. Of course the browser-based version is more sophisticated, allowing functionality that doesn’t exist on the app, such as importing self-created content. But a question to regular users: For actual study of content items, how much time spent studying through the PC versus with a mobile device (smartphone, tablet etc.)?

I mostly study on my tablet - but through the browser on the tablet… I find that both the browser version and the apple-app are very buggy, but for the most part, I use the browser on the Ipad. Since I got the tablet, I hardly ever study on the PC - it’s just much more comfortable to use the tablet.

The app gets slow - especially when you create many lingqs in a 2000-word lesson. And the app doesn’t remember how far you got in a lesson, if you don’t finish it, so you have to search for the point where you left off. I’ve also had some spontaneous shutdowns here and there.

The browser version is buggy too when using it through the ipad - When I create a lingq, I can only chose between the hints that are already there. Whenever I try to edit a lingq or something that involves the keyboard, the browser immediately scrolls to the top. This is very annoying, and when the site is slow, this often happens by mistake if you tap the hint an extra time. (because it thinks that you want to edit it). I create a lot of lingqs with nonsense hints because manually editing the hints simply is not possible without a lot of work.

I wish all of this could be fixed, but I still study for hours each day :wink:

The mobile app (I’m using the Android version) is quite buggy and has fewer functionalities than the browser one and yet I spend 99% of the time with the mobile version. I simply don’t have time to open my laptop at the end of the day or I am just tired. Even if I have a chance I prefer lying comfortably on the bed to sitting slouched in front of the monitor. :slight_smile:

I really wish the mobile version had multiple choice and cloze tests though. Flashcards are really useful but I guess revising the vocabulary would be more effective.

Lately, it has been 50/50. I have a Galaxy Note 4, and it makes reading and listening pretty convenient on the go. The large screen makes it easy to create LingQs, compared to my old iPhone (seriously, those screens were tiny). If I were to focus on listening more, I use my phone. It’s the only way I find motivation to clean my apartment.

However, I still enjoy using my computer. It makes reading words more easy with the large monitor.

My own complaint is the mobile app won’t let me go straight to a lesson. It only displays latest ‘courses’. So, if a course has 100 lessons, I have to navigate through them all to find my lesson.

I split my time between mobile and desktop. I’m on the go a lot, just like most of us these days, and use my iPhone 6.

But it also depends on the language for me. I time my Korean studies to use the desktop because I’m not as advanced in Korean yet and I need the benefits of the interface. But with French and German I can read more comfortably and the mobile app does ok for those languages.

Since the last release of the iPhone app I’ve been using it almost exclusively. The web browser version is more stable and flexible but that app wins on convenience. All I want is to sit and read, and look up a lot of words, and the app facilitates that. Prior to this release there was a bug that would very frequently scroll to the top when you create a new LingQ. That seems to be fixed now.

I use more often the browser on laptop. I use mobile app only when I do some listening.

I use the browser on my PC only. I have rarely deadtime outside of the house, and the browser offers more options.

I usually check the dictionary for definitions, and don’t rely on other people’s hints. You cannot imagine how many wrong hints I’ve found. Recently I was watching my daughter using LingQ. She uses the user hints often. I was really surprised to see, how many totally wrong hints came up. And often the hint that was taken the most was wrong! I was wondering how this could happen. I guess this happens when you use “Quick Ling” or “Auto Modus” or don’t check the LingQs if they are correct. Nobody seams interested in flagging the hints. I rarely see that wrong hints are flagged.

What I dislike on the browser version is the waste of space on it. I do not get why only a small part of my monitor is used. I guess the software is not flexible enough to suit different screen sizes.

While commuting I use my mp3 player or my usb stick in the car for listening.

I totally agree about the waste of space on the browser version.
I wanted to insert a screenshot, but don’t know how. Anyway, I am sure everyone else’s browser window looks similar to min.

The quick LingQ mode is very useful when I’m working my way through a book for example as it makes the process faster. But as you say, you get the problem of hints being wrong. I’m guilty of this because a suggestion will come up and I don’t always correct it because it will just take me too long to read the book.

I prefer the web browser but use the App more often just because of the convenience factor.