Indonesian audio with transcripts?

I’ve started learning Indonesian using Assimil, but after thirty lessons, it’s starting to turn into drudgery; I’m losing motivation. I need real content! I have found quite a few resources (television, news podcasts etc.), albeit nothing with transcripts. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Any help would be much appreciated!

Finally someone who is interested in the Indonesian language, I thought I am the only :slight_smile:

I started myself to study with the French Assimil method is very well done but there always comes a time like you when there is saturation and where it seems not to remember anything; especially do not be discouraged, I had the same experience, at this point it is better to go back and rework the lessons already learned to consolidate (do not wait until the 50th lesson or second wave) and do not hesitate to omit learn the vocabulary that you will not be useful at first, you will come back later.
I found a great site English-Bahasa indonesian called The Indonesian Way, very complete with a hundred lessons, exercises, audio, flash card; you can also use Memrise (you’ll find the vocabulary of Indonesian Way with audio) and finally on Youtube you can find Indonesian Pod101 short videos with subtitles, you can choose the level of difficulty.

I hope my tips will help you and when you travel in Indonesia get a great pleasure to contact Indonesians who will be delighted. I’m leaving tomorrow … and I’m excited to see if I was a good student.

Thank you, Salba! :smiley:

My fiancée and I are going backpacking through Java and Bali this summer, so I’ve made it my goal to learn as much as I possibly can in the next four months.

The lessons on Indonesian Pod 101 are exactly what I was looking for: texts with audio and transcripts that I can import into LingQ. And the advanced texts look pretty interesting, so I’ve got something concrete to work towards.

I’m slowly getting the hang of this language. The grammar, the pronunciation and the writing system are very easy, but the vocabulary not so much… That’s my main hurdle. But these resources should help me a lot.

Good luck, and thanks again!

See the link below. I’ve been using it for Arabic and it’s really great.

https://gloss.dliflc.edu/

1 Like

How is the bahasa Indonesia, going?

I am also learning bahasa Salba and Chandler, I also use “The Indonesian Way” is very good, lessons are online and you can download pdfs and audio to practice. I also use Assimil course (Glosikka) the trick when reviewing the material or stuff you know well, go back and make challenges.

1. I change the subject, and translate in real time: Example:
    Recording says: He is sick, and is at home. (I change “He to I” and repeat with audio)
    I am sick, and I am home today.
    If adventurous, give opposite status as well, “I am well, and I am going to work”
    The mental gymnastics will increase your speaking and stop you from translating, and give you “the learning headache”, hehehe, do only a little each day.

2. Make question from the Statement instead of repeating the statement:
    Recording: I am sick and I will stay home today / You: Are you sick? will you go to work today"

3. When I get chance to practice with Native speakers for language exchange, I keep it structured, we say hello, how are you, how is the weather there, the weather here is…, how is your family. Then we do it over in English for their practice. (Then review mistakes)
    Then, they we start with 5 statements i have to read to her from the Assimil list, she corrects my pronunciation. It seems like added stress when repeating to a real person, LOL,
    then we do 5 statements were she says a statement, and I make a question from the statement.
    Then a little free talking, I don’t have enough vocabulary to go much further when they take control, so if you learn a few tricks to get control back, you can guide the conversation back to your strong areas, otherwise, I get lost, they usually know, and we stop. Then do English for her/him. This goes by very fast, 15 minutes, for greeting, 5 statements and 5 questions, then recap of mistakes, then switch to English to answer their questions.

Well this is way more than you asked far, hehe, I say that to say, you have to do a little mental work with the material helps you with conversation.

Good luck

Thank you for the link, I just use it to try and it is really very useful.
I have to focus on listening, to me this is the most difficult point ; I was last month in Indonesia and I could start talking a bit but I had trouble understanding conversations but I am very motivated because I want to come back there, people are so warm … but I suppose that people who want to learn the Indonesian already know.

i am indonesian. but i still learning english. so my english stil not well