My teenage daughter won a translation award / Mi hija adolescente ha ganado un premio de traducción

I’ve thought of sharing this personal piece of news with the Lingq community, partly because I’m very proud, party because it’s a language-related topic, partly because I’ve got to feel a personal connection with the community. I’ll write both in Spanish and English:

La Comisión Europea organiza un concurso de traducción entre alumnos/as de secundaria de los países miembros. Parece que se denomina oficialmente “Juvenes Translatores”. Se declara un ganador por país y a todos los premiados se les invita a Bruselas. En este año (no sé si es el primero en que se convoca) la ganadora española ha resultado ser una de mis hijas, que tiene 17 años y cursa segundo de bachillerato. La prensa parece haberse interesado por esta noticia y mi hija ha aparecido en varios periódicos y la han entrevistado para programas de radio y televisión. Tanto el premio como la atención mediática han resultado toda una sorpresa para nosotros. Mi hija no le da mucha importancia (probalemente con razón) pero los familiares, claro está, estamos entusiasmados.

The European Commission organizes a translation contest for secondary-school students from all member countries. Its official name seems to be “Juvenes Translatores”. There is one winner for every country and all winners are invited to Brussels. This year (I’m not sure whether it’s the first edition) the Spanish winner happened to be one of my daughters. She is 17 years old and she is a student of “segundo de bachillerato” (last year of secondary education). The Spanish media seem to have taken some interest in this piece of news and my daughter has been mentioned in several newspapers and interviewed in radio an TV programs. Both the award itself and the media attention have been very surprising for us. My daughter doesn’t think all of this is such a big deal (and she’s probably right) but I and the rest of a family are, of course, terribly excited about it.

Congratulations to your daughter and to her rightfully proud parents!

Спасибо большое, Харды

That’s a great news. Congratulations!
P.S. Thank you for writing in Spanish, I have a good read to import and work on!

Felicitaciones para la hija. Y para el padre, que algo de mérito tiene también.

Muchísimas gracias, Luciano.

Wow. A wonderful honour. The world of languages will enrich her life for a long long time. Congratulations to you, to your daughter and to the whole family. Thank you for this positive news. Felicitaciones por este gran logro. La manzana no cae lejos del árbol.

Congratulation, and thank you Francisco for sharing this. As a mother of a 15 year old daughter I can imagine how proud you are.

I never heard about this competition, but now I found information on the internet about it and I’ll lead it forward to my daughter’s teacher :wink:

I wish you’re daughter a great time in Brussels.

Поздравляю!!!

Muchas gracias, Steve :slight_smile:

Danke schön, Vera. :slight_smile:

Спасибо, Анна

Congratulations to your daughter.

Love of languages runs in families! :slight_smile:

¡Hola ! ftornay

Le doy la enhorabuena a su hija. Y gracias a Usted para compartir la noticia.

Debe de ser muy orgulloso por ella, solamente un ganador por país y resulta qué es su hija.¡Qué bien!

Entonces y por supuesto la atención mediática debe de provocar mucha sorpresa y alégria.

¡Qué tenga suerte su hija por su viaje a Bruselas!

Tel père, (telle fille). Suis pas surpris du tout. Félicitations aux ftornay!

jajaj felicidades, claro de tal palo tal astilla))

It does. My mother learned some German and Dutch when she was young. When I was a kid I found a book in old Norse in the house, which I tried to read. It must be genetic.

Merci beaucoup, Isabelle :slight_smile:

Thank you, Jay :slight_smile:

Interesting story, ijoh. Can you read old Norse now? It’s a very interesting language