I hate flash cards!

As the title says, I hate flash cards, I find them utterly depressing. The problem is I have an unhealthy obsession with routine but it seems that most people use flash cards as an integral part of their routine, so how can I find a method that I can time table into my day with out flat cards.

please help me, I feel bit lost in the process of learning. I have 3-5 hours a day to spear, how would you use this time?
cheers

I’d advise you to just read and listen more. If you don’t like flashcards or even hate them, don’t use them.

1 Like

As Steve always says… Do what you like to do!

If I have dedicated study time I read or listen. Flash cards are for short moments while waiting or where conditions don’t favour reading. But that is just me.

3 Likes

I don’t use flash cards and I’m happy with my progress.

I flashcard on my phone using memrise if I only have a couple minutes free (waiting for coffee or something). If I have 10 minutes or more free, it’s definitely reading/listening time.

I used to flashcard a lot - I’m a man of habit so I used to work it into my daily schedule. Now I’ve exhausted myself with that technique.

based of that, how long does a block of reading need to be? is five minutes of spare time best used on flash cards or reading in your practice?

how do you go about learning words now, is it purely through reading and listening on lingq?

how do you spend you practice time? are you mostly on lingq or have found method alternative to flashcards?

okay cheers! thanks for the recommendation, I will up my reading and listening game!

1 Like

Yes, mostly through reading on Lingq for me. I also pick up some words from conversations, videos, songs, … and I sometimes look up a particular meaning out of curiosity. Some stick,some don’t

Mostly through reading now.

I find that, being a new learner, my texts are too short (in length) and the words not repeated enough for me to have a hope of learning them without some kind of repetition. By the sounds of it, some folk must have super memories and clearly mine is not one of those. So heres an example of something I did this week:

Pulled a news article off a Korean website. I read it twice in a row. Then I read it once the next day. I read it again the following day. Now I recall a few words from it so I am letting it go and hopefully if I continue to pull news relating to the tech industry, I’ll see some of those words again which should reinforce those memories.

Perhaps part of what helps is also how I read. I’m no expert on the matter but heres what works for me: I read slowly trying to guess what each sentence says. If one is too complex, I try google translate and then move on. However if one seems to be within my grasp, I spend a couple of minutes on it trying to figure it out - looking up grammar if I need to.

Once I think I understand how it has been put together, I try reread it and ‘understand’ it as its written.

Reading text can take some time for me depending on how many sentences I feel are worth me really digging into, and of course how much investigation I need to do to pull it apart.

2 Likes

Being on /r/languagelearning on Reddit, people there swear by flashcards and they’ve always struck me as boring. I always thought to myself, “Why not just read through context, if you see a yellow word that you can’t remember, and you try to, isn’t that the same thing as a flashcard?”

If flashcards are bang for buck for time, then I will give them another go. Maybe do a certain number a day, or have a day of just vocabulary review and try them out for a couple of weeks to see if I like them.

I see them as a supplemental exercise at most. It sounds very boring to encounter and learn words from a boring card.

I personally find Cloze a bit more fun and challenging, but quite slow if you have 100 LingQs to review that day.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been there too, and they all seem obsessed with their flashcards, so I rarely engage in conversation because I feel out of place.

1 Like

I mostly read on Lingq and listen both on Lingq and outside. I have used some Anki cards in the past but stopped after a while. I think they’re a good way to memorize in general but for language learning reading/listening trumps it all.

I think they’re right. Flashcards can work. Repetitive, deliberate and focused exposure is the best way to get something in long term memory. There are very few things I only need to hear/see/read once and will remember for years.

But the issue (for me) is that the deliberate/focused attention to flashcards is a motivation killer.

I used Memrise to study the top 1000 Korean words by frequency over 4 months. It wasn’t a terrible idea. In fact reading now I encounter words from that last all the time (as you might expect) and I already know them! It has been a great gain but I certainly won’t do something like that again.

1 Like

Flashcards can work

It seems so, if you can find a system that works. There’s only a handful of people that make a compelling case, such as challenging words and ones that don’t appear very often.

The rest use them as the meat and potatoes for their learning, which I don’t understand.

I think might start making Anki decks from my LingQs one of these days, because to review vocabulary, I just reread the lesson, because I’m lazy and don’t fill like making flashcards.

1 Like

sorry for my ingnorance, but are there any differences between anki and memrise?

Would you like or wouldn’t you like, but WITHOUT KNOWING WORDS YOU CAN’T SPEAK ANY LANGUAGE!
If you don’t like repeating words using flashcards, then you have to find other ways to learn words from reading or listening otherwise you will be always on the level beginner!
I start every day with repeating the new words, which I met before, using flashcards or multiple choice.
It’s like some exercises for my brains.
And IT TAKE’S ME ONLY 5 MINUTES!
I don’t believe that these 5 minutes can make someone depressive until this person is too lazy.

1 Like

I don’t believe 5 minutes will work for me and this depresses me. And more than 5 minutes is boriing. I use memrise