How many new known words and lingqs do you shoot for daily?

How many lingqs do you shoot for daily? And how many known words are added to your known words daily? I’m trying to shoot for 30-40 new known words daily but it’d difficult.

Also, when it’s time to go to speak and write I often feel I have no idea how to form what I want to say with correct grammar. Steve talks a lot about just exposing yourself to the language through reading and listening a lot, but I still feel like I need more structure with basic sentences. When I talk with my tutors I feel pretty stupid because what I say is just completed off. But they usually understand what I mean and then correct me. I’m only two months into studying German…

Since I am not in a class I don’t need to worry about how I sound or how well I speak after a few months into the language. I feel that in the long run, a large vocabulary and good listening skills are more important. I could say just treat the class as a great learning opportunity and not worry about the mistakes but of course that is probably not realistic.
Most of the increase in known words will come from words you see and don’t need to LingQ and not from LingQs that you deliberately learn. Just keep reading, listening and LingQing, you will be ahead in the long run.
Meanwhile to improve your performance in class save more phrases, then review these phrases using the tools in LingQ such as Flash Cards, Dictation etc. so that you are better able to produce these phrases in class.

I personally don’t shoot for any number.

I tend to value the amount or variety of content more. For example, how many podcasts have I gone through that day?

Even then though, it’s whatever I feel like.

The number of words you “learn” varies, dramatically, as you progress. In the beginning, you should expect about 10 for day as an average (some days much less). Just keep it up.
The reason is that words just won’t stick at the initial level. As you become familiar with the language, you’ll find it easy to remember new words.
When I began Russian, it seemed impossible to remember most words: I keep confusing syllables within the word, mixing them up with different words, etc.
Now, I often get 100 new “know” words a day. But obsessing about numbers is never a good idea.

As for “needing more structure”. Do read about grammar, either in online tutorials or in a good introductory text. I agree with Steven that most learning happens through expostion to input but some grammar knowledge does help.
Just read through the gammar explanation, without trying to memorize anything and, as you read, pay attention to the sentence structure using what you’ve learned. I’m sure that’ll help you.

Ich wünsche dir viel Erfolg!

I’d say that I average 3-6 new words per day. I have a weekly goal of 20 new words so that means that I have to get 4 new words per day.

In terms of new unique words – 2 or 3 going into my long term memory a day and I am happy. I don’t think it is possible to get much more than 10 a day.

In terms of lingqs – many people will do more than this, and it is possible to get words into your short term memory at a higher rate, but not into your long term memory, imo.

Long term vocab is a process of encountering words in many different contexts, often forgetting and re-learning them, and forging the brain over a number of years.

1 Like

I am learning Russian and my current goal is 100 words per day. As I am retired I have unlimited time. I have previously studied Basic Russian from a text book so I probably know 1500 - 2000 words already. So I am adding 50 words already known from the lessons and then 50 words from multiple choice. The comment about the difference between short and long term memory chimes with me. I now have 1302 words “recognised” but many of them will only have come from my short term memory. When I encounter them again and if I can’t remember the meaning I highlight them again to try to get them into long-term memory. I expect my word acquisition will slow down eventually as I encounter more unknown words.
I am supplementing LINGQ with Russian Songs and Stories with text on Youtube, with text and audio on Youtube and reading another textbook.

I usually strive to meet the 90-day challenge- goals. I know that it’s hard to form sentences without grammar so I actually looked up a good “grammar” podcast where they explain how to use words, phrases etc. This really helps! If you feel like learning without any prior knowledge, you should try to find something like that in your target language!

+TheTortoise It’s very interesting to know your goals. We seem to share similar objectives.
Could you please elaborate on the Youtube story part? Where do you find stories? Which ones do you recommend? I’ve found a couple of animations, for example at least one based on a work by Pushkin, with both Russian and English subtitles. Is that the kind of material that you have in mind?
Link to the video:

Of course, knowing of words is very important for all language, especially first 2000 words.
After that you can guess the meaning of the most new words from the context.
It’s very good that you supplement Lingq.com with YouTube and Russian songs - take everything what is intersting for you and from different sourses.
Try to find a Ruusian pen-friend tio write or to speak with him - it’s also very imporrtant, especially on the Intermediate+ level.
Good luck!

evgueny40: I have a Russian wife who speaks English and my Russian mother-in-law has recently come to live with us and she only speaks Russian, so I have had to have a crash course in Russian. It is interesting to me that my wife who is a Russian Language teacher has not been able to teach me Russian. Most of what I have learned has been apart from her. I couldn’t teach her to drive a car either!

ftornay: The example you provided is precisely what I avoid! I prefer Russian text and audio combined. See below:

Russian Dialogues with text and audio: Russian dialogue 9 (читать-прочитать) - YouTube

Russian Songs with text: ПОСЛЕДНЯЯ ОСЕНЬ - ДДТ (The Last Autumn- DDT) with lyrics - YouTube

Children’s Russian Songs with text: - YouTube

Russian Stories for Children with text: Santa's Christmas: Learn Russian with subtitles - Story for Children "BookBox.com" - YouTube

I did 2469 in the last week, which was an above average week. Done 6677 in the last 30 days :slight_smile:

I don’t know. I don’t have a set number. I try to shoot for reading at least 1500 words a day, and at least a half hour of listening.

I don’t usually have a whole lot of words that stick out at me that say “I’ve learned this word today.” So, it’s difficult for me to say. When you say you learned X, Y, and Z words that day, what did you do to learn that word, and do you have a focus on particular things to study/learn? I’m just curious about what people do for micromanagement so I can learn tips and tricks for making time more efficient.

When I have been through a lesson and highlighted words and then used the multiple choice feature and the words are then added to my word count, I don’t consider that these are words that I have “learned”, they are words that I have “recognised.” My hope is that when I encounter them again that I will still “recognise” them. If not, I will look at the meaning again until they do “stick”. Unfamiliar words need to be passed through the mind multiple times in a variety of ways before they are truly “learned”. Although, it is a bonus when some words just seem to stick without any effort. Which is nice! The downside is that some words just seem so elusive, that no matter how many times I see them they always seem beyond recall!

I find as I become more familiar with the language, (and my brain gets used to remembering new words once again) the number that I learn increases over time.
To be able to make yourself understood within two months is well done in my opinion, I still haven`t been adventurous enough to try speaking with anyone but my husband. The structure will come with time and practice.

bon soir