New Year...new language?

Happy new year to all :slight_smile:

(It’s only been a few hours but I gotta say, so far it doesn’t feel at all good for me! I was doing some expensive schnapps last night, was mir irgendein Dummkopf zum Weihnachten geschenkt hat, and…na ja…hangover from hell und so…ihr weißt ja…)

Anyway, I guess some folks are starting a new language this year? (I’m thinking I might have a crack at Spanish.)

Or maybe some other project? (Fitness, etc?)

What plans do you have for 2016?

I am toying with the idea of working on Latin. However I still haven’t decided, I still have work to do on Korean and I’m tempted to get into Turkish or Arabic. I still haven’t made up my mind.

2 Likes

My main goal is to be able to read some books in Polish and talk more ‘fluently’ (whatever that means hehe)

At the moment I am distracted by Italian, I like the language so I might fall in love with it during 2016 ^^

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2016 to you and to others members lingq. My plan has for 2016 : I start Russian’s 90 days and find more time for lingq. I want to be more organized.

i’m going to continue the main ones i’m trying to learn and hope to better organised and more motivated although i might take a look at a asian language

I’ll keep concentrating on Russian. I hope to make a break-through this year, but I’ve also been reading a bit of Japanese on the side. I know the basics and I’d like to increase my vocabulary at an easy pace.
As for fitness, I’m adding some programs from gmb.io to my usual routine. The goal is to increase body awareness.
Happy new year everyone! And success with Spanish, Jay.

Russian is a great language to learn. I completed the 90 day challenge some time ago. It help me a lot. Here is my conversation reports that I have made available for people to use.

1 Like

My aim for this year 2016 is to carry on learning Russian. I am also looking forward to learning and completing the 90 day challenge in German. As Russian was my first foreign language, I found it hard to write in Russian. I am looking forward to write my first few words in German in a few weeks time.

I continue to keep improving on Russian. I have no plans to really do more than one language.

My main goal is to be able to understand books in Arabic.

And maybe learn to speak Caboverdian crioulo, as well as improving my Portuguese? As I will stay some time here.

Today I started to speak French with Serge. This year my goal is to speak French fluently. Also, I want to be capable of reading German. And English… poor English is very difficult for me. However, I want to try equally.

Today I started to speak French with Serge. This year my goal is to speak French fluently. Also, I want to be capable of reading German. And English… poor English is very difficult for me. However, I want to try equally.

“What plans do you have for 2016?”

To keep my plans and goals to myself - Derek Sivers: Keep your goals to yourself | TED Talk - or, at least until have done something meaningful towards them.

Having said that, have created some new courses - eg - Login - LingQ and will focus on putting up content there.

1 Like

An advantage of Latin is that there are no fast-speaking natives to keep up with. :slight_smile: However, the grammar in my opinion is harder than Russian. :frowning:

I dabbled in Arabic with a continuing-ed class at the community college. My main problem with building any ambition to continue is that the script, even though I know it, is too tiny to be legible to me in most computer renderings.

My goal is to be able to watch films in Russian. It will take a bit more vocabulary and a lot more listening comprehension. Russian and Soviet films comprise an enormous corpus, mostly unknown in the West, running the gamut from profound to absurd, and a majority of them appear to be available on-line.

I’d love to dive into German, but don’t want to distract myself from Russian yet.

1 Like

I will keep on focusing on Korean and French. Korean is what I focus on for fun and French is mostly a school subject that I try to find motivation for. This year, I want to read and listen more to French.

My goal to 2016 is to be able to speak and listening English with some confidence. Ideally I should be able to see a film in English and not stay blank when someone asks me a question. I will try to convert my passive vocabulary in active vocabulary!

HI sgarner2. Thanks. Yes, it’s a great language to learn. Russian’s 90 days: well, I began by viewing videos these last days on the russian culture: food, history, the music. I will learn more fast words and phrases. I think so it help me a lot too. Happy new year everyone and success with yours goals